How can baby chicks die this fast???Laying and spinning with neck back

jen5680

Southside Silkie Shack
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
SW Ohio
I was out in the coop feeding watering checking on the flock and came in to get something. I was maybe in the house for
10 minutes. I go back into the coop and 2 of the chicks are dead and 2 more are laying on there sides spinning around with there neck all bent backwards like.
Very weird!! One of them had some kind of liquid it looked like kinda dripping out of it's mouth.
I picked them up and held them for a long time and then they seemed to be ok. I put them back with momma
but they seem to keep leaning to one side and seem very groggy. Any ideas what is going on with this???

Symptoms sound like New Castle disease? Twisting of heads, nervous tremers and sudden death are a few of the symptoms. You might want to look it up online. So sorry!
hugs.gif

Quote:
It says that there is no cure for this. I still dont' no how they would have even gotten this?? None of my other birds have it???
All the feed is fresh and they are inside and not able to get into anything but what I give them to eat. This is weird!!

I was just reading on Google that USA has not had an outbreak of New Castle virus in domestic chickens since 1974, when it was eradicated. I don't know how truthful the source is or not. It did mention that vaccinated chicks can still spead it and that there is no treatment for it. It is very contagious.

Quote:
It says that there is no cure for this. I still dont' no how they would have even gotten this?? None of my other birds have it???
All the feed is fresh and they are inside and not able to get into anything but what I give them to eat. This is weird!!

I hope I'm wrong on this!
sad.png
I would change their feed in case it came from the factory with some toxin in it!!! Remember when all the pets were dying because one of the ingredients came from China and it had melamine in the grains? I switched my cat to a grain free diet then and discovered that she had an allergy to grain and she is so much healthier now!! I would put cider vinegar in their water and feed them some hard boiled egg to give them a boost. GOOD LUCK!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom