How can I figure out what what killed my chicks?

Any stray dogs around?
A fox or coyote would have carried her off. Not left her there.
Not that I know of. I've never seen a stray dog. I have seen a stray cat. The people next door rent their house on AirBnb, so that's a potential problem. I realized that I will need to talk with them to make sure no guests lets dogs roam free.

So sorry for you loss. Also sad to say that when you free range that is the risk you take and eventually there will be a loss. If there are people that haven't lost any birds free ranging, they have been lucky. Predators will lurk and look for an opportunity. You may not see them. I have large pens for my birds. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. So far nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I also have several game cameras. I look on Amazon and now and then find a good one. Go on YouTube and there are plenty of videos of different cameras. Most game cameras take good daytime pictures but not all are good at taking nighttime pictures. Also Walmart sells game cameras. I was surprised at the predators that roam here especially at night. The predators know the electric wires are there. Good luck...
View attachment 2389033View attachment 2389034View attachment 2389036View attachment 2389038

I was about to say that from looking at that pic, it wasn't a coon, or its head would be gone. Coons love chicken heads. Wasnt a fox or coyote or it would have took the carcass to bury, stash, or hide in a tree. Bobcat would have took the whole body. But around here, Owls will kill day or night with opportunity, and they usually eat the neck and shoulders first, then come back later to work on the rest.
But when it comes to predators, all:idunno bets are off the table. There just ain't no damn tellin.

I was about to say that from looking at that pic, it wasn't a coon, or its head would be gone. Coons love chicken heads. Wasnt a fox or coyote or it would have took the carcass to bury, stash, or hide in a tree. Bobcat would have took the whole body. But around here, Owls will kill day or night with opportunity, and they usually eat the neck and shoulders first, then come back later to work on the rest.
But when it comes to predators, all:idunno bets are off the table. There just ain't no damn tellin.
Good to know about coons! I thought I only had to worry about owls at night. Could have been an owl, then. We also have a lot of hawks around. A local friend lost many chickens to a bobcat.

I think it might've been a hawk that killed your hen because hawks tend to eat very little of their prey but I could be wrong I wish you and your hens the best!!
The other side was also partially eaten. I thought I may have disturbed whatever was eating her when I went to look for her. I also heard that when chickens get bigger hawks don't go after them. I know that's not true because a friend who had full grown chickens lost one to a hawk. It cut her throat which killed her instantly. My friend saw it happen. We got her body before the hawk came back. Thanks for the good wishes!

Not that I know of. I've never seen a stray dog. I have seen a stray cat. The people next door rent their house on AirBnb, so that's a potential problem. I realized that I will need to talk with them to make sure no guests lets dogs roam free.
My guess would be a cat or a dog since it happened during the day.

So sorry for you loss. Also sad to say that when you free range that is the risk you take and eventually there will be a loss. If there are people that haven't lost any birds free ranging, they have been lucky. Predators will lurk and look for an opportunity. You may not see them. I have large pens for my birds. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. So far nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I also have several game cameras. I look on Amazon and now and then find a good one. Go on YouTube and there are plenty of videos of different cameras. Most game cameras take good daytime pictures but not all are good at taking nighttime pictures. Also Walmart sells game cameras. I was surprised at the predators that roam here especially at night. The predators know the electric wires are there. Good luck...
View attachment 2389033View attachment 2389034View attachment 2389036View attachment 2389038
Thank you! Those are great photos! It will be interesting to see what's going on out there in the night! We had a bear get into a bee hive a few years ago. I've never seen a fox, but that doesn't mean they're not there. My son shot a raccoon that was lurking around in the daytime last year. He thought it might have been rabid. I'm ordering the fence!

Back
Top Bottom