How Can I Get Rid Of Roaches?

Quote:
Boric acid is very safe and effective around the chickens. If you don't feel comfortable with this, DE will also work, just takes a little longer.
The only thing I don't like about boric acid is that tiny amounts are toxic to the garden so if you use your bedding for the garden, you have to be very careful with it. You can still dust the corners very lightly with it, than generously sprinkle DE everywhere.

Isn't DE Diatomacious Earth? We use to use it in our garden to kill off the slugs. It's an all natural substance-kind of powdery and made from the shells of sea animals. I believe that it works by puncturing the soft underbelly or shell of the insect causing it to dehydrate. I would assume it's safe for chickens to eat, and probably has calcium in it (BUT don't quote me on it).

Hi, I'm new here but from what I understand there are two different kinds of DE. The food grade DE is safe for chickens, the other kind is not. There was another thread somewhere that talked alot about this. Like I said, I'm new so please double check this.

Well... my chicken apparently likes eating anything... Both meat and vegetables and of course, insects. -- Is it a good thing? No, but he still eats.

I'm glad y'all started this thread back up. I live in the country and we always have roaches outside that try their best to get in the house and of course some succeed. I am always scared they will get a start in the house and I can't stand the thought of that! I bought some of those electronic things that you plug in. They do work! I haven't seen a roach in the house in a couple months. Now that I think about it I haven't seen much of any kind of bug other than flies and fruit flies. I believe I have only seen one roach since installing two of those things in my kitchen. I had rather kill the nasty things but as long as they stay out of the house I can deal with it. I got the things at Walmart and they are called... Bell and Howell brand "Ultrasonic Pest Repellers". I think it was close to $20 for a set of four. The package shows that they repel ants, mice/rats, spiders and roaches. I am sure they repel more pests but they haven't done much for house flies or fruit flies.

I'm glad y'all started this thread back up. I live in the country and we always have roaches outside that try their best to get in the house and of course some succeed. I am always scared they will get a start in the house and I can't stand the thought of that! I bought some of those electronic things that you plug in. They do work! I haven't seen a roach in the house in a couple months. Now that I think about it I haven't seen much of any kind of bug other than flies and fruit flies. I believe I have only seen one roach since installing two of those things in my kitchen. I had rather kill the nasty things but as long as they stay out of the house I can deal with it. I got the things at Walmart and they are called... Bell and Howell brand "Ultrasonic Pest Repellers". I think it was close to $20 for a set of four. The package shows that they repel ants, mice/rats, spiders and roaches. I am sure they repel more pests but they haven't done much for house flies or fruit flies.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Be careful about letting your chickens eat roaches. They carry worms and can be very harmful to your flock. There is a relationship between the roaches, who eat the chicken poop ( feed on and poop in chicken food leaving droppings which the chickens also eat) and the chickens eat the roaches after the eggs are developed and larvae form. Especially worms that get in the chicken's eyes...

Back
Top Bottom