1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can I get them to try new things?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamaKate, May 3, 2009.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My chicks are about 7 weeks old. They're friendly(the BO is a little aggressive) and healthy. They will not eat anything except chick starter and grit. I take them outside often and they have no interest in eating grass or bugs. They pick up a little grit but mostly just look around and sit on my lap. I've tried yogurt, strawberries, canned cat food, salmon(a little interest there-not much), coffee cake, parakeet treat seed, sunflower seeds and I don't remember what else. They eat chick starter readily from my hand. I tried just leaving the treat with them. They throw it in the litter and trample it.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's another thread about treats for young chicks, actually the next newest one on my "recent posts" page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=169964

They
    are often afraid of new things. Sounds like you just don't have an adventurous one who will get the rest going. Just keep trying.

My (rather limited) experience would indicate your best bet would be some cooked spaghetti or some live bugs, like a few crickets or worms from the bait shop. Or tear a piece of bread into tiny pieces. Or shredded cheese, the kind in threads; looks like worms, I suspect.

If I were trying to get them to forage, I'd sure invest a few bucks in some live bait.

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I've tried bread crumbles. I'll give mealworms a shot tomorrow. One of the reasons I wanted chickens was bug patrol. I hope they do develope a taste for the critters. Are BO's and RIR's not naturally good foragers?

Last edited: May 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by