How can I keep rooster off chickens?

As Janiedoe writes, he's unlikely to physically protect the hens. If you keep your chickens contained in a coop and run most of what a rooster can and will do in a free range setting is wasted. He may offer some protection in the event of a hawk strike but you will probably find he won't attack the hawk until the hawk is on top of the hen. In such cases I believe he sees another male trying to mate one of his hens and sees red and attacks.
If your hens had a rooster in their group before and they have the space to evade this cockerels attentions then ime the hens will fare okay.
It's the keeping circumstances that often dictate the males behaviour rather than some supposed defect in his attitude.

Initially, he was with the hen's but after a week, I separated him because a couple hens were picking on him.
This is very unfortunate. Had you left him with the hens at this stage he'd likely be much better mannered than he is now. They were putting him in his place when he was young enough to benefit from it and too inexperienced to fight them. I've never had a single cockerel grow up in my flock that did not have to attend the School of Hard Knocks. But they've all grown up to be very respectful flock leaders after graduation.

He is a blue icebar. One hen is a barred rock and the other australorps. He's big (about the size of the previous Roo who was an australorp). The hens are smaller than the rooster, but they aren't small chickens.

I got him when he was 3 months old. He's about 9 months now. Initially, he was with the hen's but after a week, I separated him because a couple hens were picking on him. After 4 months, I knew he was ready for a flock. After a week, though, I separated him again. The hens didn't want to leave the coop.

I'm putting saddles on today, but I'm skeptical.

Any opinion about the Pick-No-More lotion?
The hens are 6 or 7. I rescued them when I realized their owner, who was free ranging them, moved and just left them.

This is very unfortunate. Had you left him with the hens at this stage he'd likely be much better mannered than he is now. They were putting him in his place when he was young enough to benefit from it and too inexperienced to fight them. I've never had a single cockerel grow up in my flock that did not have to attend the School of Hard Knocks. But they've all grown up to be very respectful flock leaders after graduation.
I separated them when I saw blood on the rooster - twice. I'm not sure that was a mistake, considering.

I'd like to address the "protect the hens" statement. Most roosters do not literally protect hens. They alert hens (& you) to danger. It is a rare rooster who will take on a predator or a perceived predator for his flock. I love roosters and I wouldn't be without a few in my flock, but I don't expect them to be anything more than eye candy and to provide me with fertile eggs.
I feel for the young cockerel because he wants to be part of the flock. He probably came from a young flock that did not have a senior rooster or hen to teach him respect. However your hens deserve to be protected from injury. I'd leave him in his seperate area while you are on your trip.
Thanks.

A young cockerel that wasn't fortunate enough to learn respect along with two older hens sounds like a headache situation. Two hens isn't enough for nearly any breed of rooster. Usually at least five are needed

A young cockerel that wasn't fortunate enough to learn respect along with two older hens sounds like a headache situation. Two hens isn't enough for nearly any breed of rooster. Usually at least five are needed
I have 10 hens. Only 2 were picking on the rooster.

the event of a hawk strike but you will probably find he won't attack the hawk until the hawk is on top of the hen. In such cases I believe he sees another male trying to mate one of his hens and sees red and attacks.
That's (hawk attack) very insightful, Shad. I've never really thought of it from that perspective.

I separated them when I saw blood on the rooster - twice. I'm not sure that was a mistake, considering.
A little blood isn't a big deal. Seriously. Especially if they nailed his comb or wattles. They bleed a lot.
How much space does everyone have access to and what is in the space for enrichment and avoidance of other flock members? Can you post some pictures of your setup?

Back
Top Bottom