How can I keep rooster off chickens?

He is a cockerel. I got him for the hen's protection after my very gentle rooster passed. They're older hens.

I've have had him separated in a large area since I got him. He has an auto door but prefers to roost under a tarp covering his area. I force him to go in his small coop every night.

I'm going away for 4 days. If I can get him to leave the hen's alone, he can sleep with them in the coop. I know he'd follow them in (a larger coop with an auto door). Otherwise, he'll sleep on his roost in the weather. I live in nj. Could be wet and windy.

It was suggested I try putting "Pick-No-More" on the hen's neck. Any thoughts? Is there something better?

He is a cockerel. I got him for the hen's protection after my very gentle rooster passed. They're older hens.

I've have had him separated in a large area since I got him. He has an auto door but prefers to roost under a tarp covering his area. I force him to go in his small coop every night.

I'm going away for 4 days. If I can get him to leave the hen's alone, he can sleep with them in the coop. I know he'd follow them in (a larger coop with an auto door). Otherwise, he'll sleep on his roost in the weather. I live in nj. Could be wet and windy.

It was suggested I try putting "Pick-No-More" on the hen's neck. Any thoughts? Is there something better?
How long have they been together? How many hens and how old are they? What is his size in relation to the hens?

I'd like to address the "protect the hens" statement. Most roosters do not literally protect hens. They alert hens (& you) to danger. It is a rare rooster who will take on a predator or a perceived predator for his flock. I love roosters and I wouldn't be without a few in my flock, but I don't expect them to be anything more than eye candy and to provide me with fertile eggs.
I feel for the young cockerel because he wants to be part of the flock. He probably came from a young flock that did not have a senior rooster or hen to teach him respect. However your hens deserve to be protected from injury. I'd leave him in his seperate area while you are on your trip.

How long have they been together? How many hens and how old are they? What is his size in relation to the hens?
He is a blue icebar. One hen is a barred rock and the other australorps. He's big (about the size of the previous Roo who was an australorp). The hens are smaller than the rooster, but they aren't small chickens.

I got him when he was 3 months old. He's about 9 months now. Initially, he was with the hen's but after a week, I separated him because a couple hens were picking on him. After 4 months, I knew he was ready for a flock. After a week, though, I separated him again. The hens didn't want to leave the coop.

I'm putting saddles on today, but I'm skeptical.

Any opinion about the Pick-No-More lotion?

In addition, in almost all cases, the male that steps in to help ends up dead. I'm suspecting that your cockerel was recently added in with the hens, or that youve been taking him in and out all the time. As a male, and as a cockerel no less, he wants to make the hens "officially" his by mating with them. Mating "respectfully" takes practice, as well as time. Truthfully, 99% of breedings are respectful for the chickens, they just seem violent in our eyes. If the hens don't want to mate, they find a way not to, most of the times. Remember, just because the previous male passed doesn't mean the hens don't still like him. Trust your birds rather than constantly switching them up

Back
Top Bottom