how can I make them (chickens) eat more veggies?

just to clarify i meant 17% protein meatbuilder feed offered free choice (i.e. always present in the feeder)

Have you subjected your chickens to surgical crop enlargement?
If your answer is no, then my remarks are still relevant.
Chickens are remarkably able to feed themselves.

That is if we humans will only stand down and allow our chickens to chose what to eat.

That's what I used to think, but I looked it up and it said solanine is the toxin.

As a matter of fact the poison STRICTNINE that is found in the Nux Vomica plant is a well known and widely used tonic for chickens and pet birds. It improves their appetites.

This is the problem with ALL so called HOMOPATHIC medical remedies like ACV and other things that charlatans convince gullible or desperate people to toss into their pie holes.

Strychnine is a popular and long used remedy for ED and anything from migraine headaches, to difficult menstruation . In fact strychnine is perfectly capable of turning any man or woman who takes it for several weeks into a stiff, so I guess that there is some truth in this claim.

Lets just say that I am not overly impressed with the intelligence of most people, Americans included.

I was always told if you can't have it you could probably use it but if it is readily available you probably shouldn't use it, at least when it comes to remedies. So far this has proven pretty well true.
As a matter of fact the poison STRICTNINE that is found in the Nux Vomica plant is a well known and widely used tonic for chickens and pet birds. It improves their appetites.

This is the problem with ALL so called HOMOPATHIC medical remedies like ACV and other things that charlatans convince gullible or desperate people to toss into their pie holes.

Strychnine is a popular and long used remedy for ED and anything from migraine headaches, to difficult menstruation . In fact strychnine is perfectly capable of turning any man or woman who takes it for several weeks into a stiff, so I guess that there is some truth in this claim.

Lets just say that I am not overly impressed with the intelligence of most people, Americans included.

Tell them they can't have their dessert unless they finish their veggies.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :p

Just give them what they like as a treat. I have chicken feed always available. Once a week or so, I'll throw them some kale or whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I'll give them BOSS, meal worms, or crickets - but just occasionally. If they don't eat it, I compost it. My chickens like kale, carrots, cabbage, cranberries, peas. They are weird and are not huge fans of watermelon. They free range part of every day, so they get plants, grasses, and bugs, too. But that pellet is always available, and it's what they get until I can let them out in the afternoon.

I have started picking up spoiled produce from farmers market and I am disappointed with a ratio of how much I bring to how much they actually eat. Shall I limit their feed (currently 17% meatbuilder) to encourage more veggie eating?

Here is the list of what they eat and don't eat.

Don't eat at all:
- neither fresh or cooked: potatoes, beats, carrots, sweet potatoes
- lettuce
- pears
- oranges
- watermelons

Eat in moderation:
- tomatoes
- broccoli
- strawberries
- apples

Like a lot:
- occasional baked goods

Do you feed a lot of veggies to your chickens in quantities that can put a dent in the feed bill, or in much smaller quantities purely for variety/entertainment/supplementation purposes?

Chickens are omnivores. Is there a reason for wanting them to eat more veggies? What are your goals for your flock?

Mine love greens like lettuce and cabbage.
But I'm usually just giving them a few leftovers.
Or the outer cabbage leaves from my garden cabbages.
In the summertime they devour grass clippings whenever I mow.
I just throw a few pitchforks worth into the run for them.
But they always have access to a quality layer mix and oyster shell and grit free choice at all times.
My chicken waste goes into a compost pile with most of my lawn clippings and such.
Anything the chickens won't eat or I don't give to them goes into the compost pile.
If it's at all questionable into the compost pile it goes!
Not going to risk their health with spoiled or questionable food items regardless of the price.

Back
Top Bottom