How can I modify my rabbit hutch into a coop?

dirtbath

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
North Carolina
Hi Ya'll! I'm new to the forum, I've been a chicken lover since I was two years old! I currently live on a 1/2 acre and there is a 40 acre horse pasture that seperates me from a fellow chicken lover. Every morning I hear their rooster and long for one of my own! So I've decided to try to modify my rabbit hutch that I'm no longer using into a "chicken chalet". My goal is to have about three hens, so I don't need anything too fancy......here is a link to the hutch I currently have. I have the bigger/wider hutch that is in the lower photo. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753321 Does anyone have any ideas? I thought about using the enclosed portion for the nesting box and the other section for food/water. Then I would build a huge fenced in enclosure. But I can also add to the hutch.....so my question is, how should I do that? Just build a bigger box off the nesting box area maybe?

Welcome to BYC, it look's like you know what your doing, just go for it! Having the rabbit pen raised off the ground will allow your chickens more space and you won't have to bend down to feed your chickens. Size off the coop and run will depend on your budget. Wire isn't cheap, so I would look at how much a roll cost and how big it would make a coop/run...then buy some 2x4's and before long you have chickens. Good Luck! Keep us posted with pic's.

Back
Top Bottom