how can i prevent a rooster from crowing?

you could....PUT A BARK COLLAR ON IT!....uh, no...I just found that post LOL

uhhhhhm..... NO chicken is quiet
smile.png

crowing is what roosters do

Off with his head and into the pot.....Best way to prevent crowing LOL

I like crowing. I am kind of immune to it too, I guess. I have about 10 roos and they all are about 100 feet from my bedroom windows and crow all the time but when I am sleeping I don't hear it at all. My DH is always up at daylight though...for some reason.
smile.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

The only surefire way to get rid of a rooster's crow... is to get rid of the rooster.

You could try therapy, acupuncture, dark rooms, bright rooms, evening sessions of Rockmoninov...

... he'll still crow...

...that's what roosters do.
hu.gif

I really believe closing them in for the duration or doing the dark room thing really amounts to cruelty. It's attempting to stop a creature from doing what it is designed to do, and ultimately won't work.

If you don't like the crowing, rehome or cook the crower. You could try micromanaging his day... keeping him in until you and most of the world is awake and enjoying coffee (that's what I did - DH is an insomniac)

Sorry there isn't a better answer for those who are plagued by this... I've been there too, but live in a place where the neighbors loved being reminded they live in the country (it helped that I gave them eggs)

Good luck.

They're roosters-- they crow. Mine crow early, and late, and all day long-- but overnight, they're in the coop with the girls and I've never heard them, except when they're roused-- like from a storm or something. The barn isn't terribly close to the house-- but the crows echo over the pond and the rest of the property ( and into the little "valley" below).. BUT.. the neighbors have a rooster down in that little valley-- who crows right back at them. I'm lucky-- I like the sound and nobody's complained!

Look at the bright side. The benefit of having a loud rooster is that when your relatives from the city visit, they won't stay long because the rooster won't let them sleep in. The bad relatives that like to get up at the crack of noon and lounge around being slobs all day will not stay long at my house. At 5:30AM the pop doors are open and Rodney is out shouting with all of his Jersey Giant baritone glory.

Wel, I start by saying, no it probably won't work on a roster, but the way they work on a dog is the middle "prong" is a sensor that picks up on vibrations. The sensor tells the shocker that the dog's barking (vibrations are from the bark) and the collar usually send out an audible warning tone and if the dog doesn't stop, it shocks the dog with the outer two prongs that are metal. A rooster's crow would not set off enough vibrations often enough for he bark collar to reliably control the crowing. Unfortunatley for you...
I personally am lucky enough to have a mostly deaf neighbor, so the chicken coop is closer to his house than the other neighbor's house. Free eggs is also a great bribe to keep them from caring, LOL! Most people think you have to have a rooster to have eggs... Silly non- chicken owners..
tongue.png

Quote:
Hey, had not thought of this. If the neighbor thinks this, then promise free eggs, and kindly remind them you have to have the rooster to get the eggs. Brilliant. If they ever figure it out, hopefully they will be used to the crowing by then. Crowing never wakes me up; I'm used to it. And when I'm awake, I love to hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom