How can I tell if my turkey was badly bruised or had gangrene?

ksblum3

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
I had a turkey that got caught under a gate. The gate was leaning on the side of our pole barn and I think that when he tried to fly up on it, it fell on him. His leg was ingured but it wasn't broke so I decided to see if he would heal himself. He had a good sized cut on his wing and i cleaned it and put an antibiotic paste on it. We let him try to make it but after three days he still wasn't putting an pressure on his foot so I felt bad for him and sent him to turkey heaven. Then ingured leg looked badly bruised but when i butchered him, the leg looked a little green!!!!!! Is this how turkeys bruise or do you think the is gangrene? I would hate to eat nasty meat but at the same time hate to throw away the normal looking meat if the leg is only bruised. Please let me know what you think!

I don't know specifically about turkey bruises, but humanly speaking, bruises change color with age. As the blood breaks down and spreads throughout the tissue, it turns shades of green, yellow, brown etc. I would think that if the meat did not have a putrid smell, it would be ok to eat. Gangrene smells TERRIBLE.
sickbyc.gif

ok that helps
it didn't smell and it was only on the "bad" leg. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom