How can I tell if the goose in the egg is dead?

Roberta67

Hatching
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Saint Cloud Florida
So I have a duck that has been sitting on a goose egg. It's been about the 28 day point. 2 days ago when I listened to the egg I could hear the baby goose peeping loudly, so loudly that you could hear it through the shell without even putting it to your ear and you could feel the movement through the shell.

Yesterday and this morning when I listened I heard nothing at all and no movement. I just candled the egg and there is the dark side and you can clearly see the air pocket, etc , but there was no movement going on. I think that some of the shapes seemed to move a bit, but could that have been just the body sliding???

Anyway, do you think it's dead inside since I'm hearing nothing and didnt see any active movement? And if it is, what would cause it do die like that when it seemed so ready to hatch?

I'm so upset. We have been so eagerly enticipating this egg to hatch.

THanks for any insight.

It sounds like it has passed away but you may try the Float test.

Floatbtest is where you fill a tall container with warm water and carefully place the egg into the water. You need to be careful but move quickly so the egg isn't in the water for very long. You will be looking for the egg to wiggle once you have let go in the water and the movement from your hand has stopped.

If it moves it's alive, if it doesn't it isn't.

Not every egg hatches, sometimes they internally pip (like yours) and never externally pip and die from suffocation. Yours had internally pipped, and I know this from you stating you could hear it peeping 2 days ago. Not every baby is strong enough to make it through the 3 day hatch process.

Back
Top Bottom