How can I tell if they have started laying yet?

I have been reading everyone's posts on here about laying and have a few questions/concerns. We have 6 hens, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, and a Partridge Cochin bantam. They are all about 24 wks. and we have yet to get any eggs. I know the bantam probably won't lay yet, or as frequent as the other girls, but I am getting a bit concerned. They all have their red combs, most of them are squatting when you go to pick them up, coop is clean, and they also get to free range for a good part of the day. I have also checked their vents and none of them look like they are pasty. Is there anything else I should be doing, or is it just a waiting game at this point? We check the nesting box every morning and sadly it's empty
sad.png
I would appreciate any help I can get at this point.

I also have 3 RIR that are coming up on 18 -19 weeks old. The fattest is Little (puny I know!) she's just over 4 lbs now the other two are slightly lighter. They free range in a controlled area of the yard with plenty of natures food and what we feed them everyday but we have yet to get an egg.

But what I have noticed is one particular hen has gotten extremely protective of the other girls and actually goes after my feet and jeans every morning when I go to freshen water and such. She was born in my daughters hands and has heavily imprinted on her and originally was a sweetheart. Always under foot wanting a snack or to be held, but now I'm getting a little afraid of her.

Could this be her getting ready to lay? We know for sure she is not a roo, took all 3 to a poultry show and had them checked out so no male suprises here!

Any suggestions on why her behavior would change over the last couple of weeks? There have been no changes in location, animals or weather so I don't think she's been stressed.

Please Help! I don't want to be chicken if my chickens! :)

I have been reading everyone's posts on here about laying and have a few questions/concerns. We have 6 hens, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, and a Partridge Cochin bantam. They are all about 24 wks. and we have yet to get any eggs. I know the bantam probably won't lay yet, or as frequent as the other girls, but I am getting a bit concerned. They all have their red combs, most of them are squatting when you go to pick them up, coop is clean, and they also get to free range for a good part of the day. I have also checked their vents and none of them look like they are pasty. Is there anything else I should be doing, or is it just a waiting game at this point? We check the nesting box every morning and sadly it's empty
sad.png
I would appreciate any help I can get at this point.
That is not extremely late, are they hatchery production birds? If not some of the heritage breeds are a bit later I think. My production RIR's just started laying last week at 22 weeks, I would definetly check the yard or observe them to see if they are laying elsewhere, mine started laying their first eggs behind the shed not in the nest boxes, sounds like yours are very close to POL, if not already there and stashing them in the yard somewhere.

I also have 3 RIR that are coming up on 18 -19 weeks old. The fattest is Little (puny I know!) she's just over 4 lbs now the other two are slightly lighter. They free range in a controlled area of the yard with plenty of natures food and what we feed them everyday but we have yet to get an egg.

But what I have noticed is one particular hen has gotten extremely protective of the other girls and actually goes after my feet and jeans every morning when I go to freshen water and such. She was born in my daughters hands and has heavily imprinted on her and originally was a sweetheart. Always under foot wanting a snack or to be held, but now I'm getting a little afraid of her.

Could this be her getting ready to lay? We know for sure she is not a roo, took all 3 to a poultry show and had them checked out so no male suprises here!

Any suggestions on why her behavior would change over the last couple of weeks? There have been no changes in location, animals or weather so I don't think she's been stressed.

Please Help! I don't want to be chicken if my chickens! :)
My RIR's got goofy and a little aggressive just prior to laying their first eggs, one was even gaurding the nest boxes and pecking the other pullets and driving them away. Others have suggested picking them up and holding them for a while till they calm down, and then release them if they get aggressive with you. I did this, and after a bit they stopped doing it. Now another pullet is doing it LOL! I think they are goofy and just get a little hormonal sometimes, but if it is escalating i'd isolate her, or start picking her up and holding her, this shows her you are dominant.

Thanks for the response! I guess I will have to get the nerve up and not be chicken of her! LOL She runs to my daughter wanting to be held all the time but for some reason Im the one getting pecked! But I'm also the one that feeds them...so maybe she thinks I always have food?

The last time i raised laying hens the very first couple of eggs they lays were super small and then after that they got large, so maybe if you find a couple small eggs that would be a sign the younger ones staring to lay.

I had a hen start laying at 15 weeks. And my last chicken just started laying at 26 weeks.

wow thanks a bunch for all the help everybody..... is that why they squat?!?!?! me and my mom thought it was because they were use to us picking them up?? so if they dont squat then they havent laid? how does that work

i have read this post on laying pullets and hens. there is a few ways to go about who is laying who is not.

1. the true and tried method most will bulk at this and think it is gross . pick your layer up and carefully put the tip of your finger in the vent. the vent will be moist. if dried and shriveled that hen has not layed in a while

2. the 3 finger method is an ok method but not accurate. peoples fingers are bigger and smaller depending on the person

3. someone mentioned the food coloring method that would work

4. use different color lip stick on each birds vent

5. isolate each bird into a cage wait a couple days check for eggs

6 months or so is standard time for a pullet to start to lay. the one poster was correct in saying hatchery breeds start earlier than lineage breed birds.

also if your birds are around 18 months old they will molt and no egg laying.

Last edited:
4. use different color lip stick on each birds vent
HA HA HA don't forget to mention don't re-use the lipstick, or my grandpa said when we were little, use chicken poo for chapstick it works!(cause ya won't lick your lips ha!)

Oh and my husband and two teenage boys already think i'm chicken crazy, if I started putting mylipstick on their butts hmmmm they might lock me up ahhhhhahahahahhaaha!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom