How can I tell which hens are laying every day?

Dr.Doorlock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Garland, Texas
I have 7 hens and egg production varies between 3 and 7 eggs per day. I would like to get two new hens, probably EEs and I want to keep the number of layers at 8 that are the best layers. So, I want to cull the hen who produces least.

I thought of using my isolation cage, but I am concerned the hen might not lay just because of the trama of being in the cage and away from her sisters.

Any ideas?

Yes food color on the vent does work
big_smile.png
tried it! YOu have to replace it every two weeks or so if you want to continue with it

Quote:
I'm so glad you tried it
thumbsup.gif
I was thinking about it, then didn't do it, wasn't sure if it would hurt them or not or maybe cause some type of infection.

To determine if a hen is laying, feel the bones under the vent. If you can place 3 fingertips BETWEEN the bones the hen is laying. Only one fingertip and she isn`t.Make alowances for pullets and bantams..........Pop

Yaya's Hen House :

Just how do you get it into the vent? details please, we have 8 hens and get 6 or 7 eggs a day.

Yes!! Thanks, what are the directions? I have 16layers and can't figure out one frm the other, except the silkie!!​

How old are these birds?
You could end up culling a perfectly nice hen if she is just young or your conditions aren't just right.
Dr.Doorlock :

I have 7 hens and egg production varies between 3 and 7 eggs per day. I would like to get two new hens, probably EEs and I want to keep the number of layers at 8 that are the best layers. So, I want to cull the hen who produces least.

I thought of using my isolation cage, but I am concerned the hen might not lay just because of the trama of being in the cage and away from her sisters.

Any ideas?​

Lipstick on the vent
use a different color on each girl and you will know who lays whick egg

PS don' put Lipstick back in wifes purse

Back
Top Bottom