How can I train my dog not to chase my chickens?

Is your dog a puppy? We got a kelpie, as a puppy she been around chickens, so grew up basically apart of the flock, she use to very briefly chase some chooks, but soon stopped when folks told her not to, she only chases cows now and tennis balls. Kelpies are smart dogs so easy to train, that probably helps.

Just keep working at it and give dog treats when does better an better.

Do shock collars really work? Everytime I see one being used, it never seems to work. :(
I used it on my shepherd for excessive barking. I beeped then shocked. Later just needed to beep and now she behaves just by wearing the collar. But watch some Youtube on it. Rule of thumb if the shock is too much for you it definitely is too much for your dog. I used only the lowest setting. I will be using the collar to train her when my chicks move outside.

Is your dog a puppy? We got a kelpie, as a puppy she been around chickens, so grew up basically apart of the flock, she use to very briefly chase some chooks, but soon stopped when folks told her not to, she only chases cows now and tennis balls. Kelpies are smart dogs so easy to train, that probably helps.

Just keep working at it and give dog treats when does better an better.
Sterling is 2.5 years old. I've walked him close to me on a leash by their run a couple of times and so far he's not doing that bad. He did try going after them one day when I was free ranging them. My brother put him on his leash and took him outside and apparently forgot that I had the chickens out. Sterling pulled on the leash and caused my brother to slip on some mud and fall. With my brother on the ground, Sterling could no longer pull so he just stared at the chickens wagging his tail, which he was doing when I arrived on the scene. He didn't even get close enough to the chickens, but he could see them.
This morning when I took Sterling out to do his business, I heard some commotion amongst my hens. Worried, I went over to the new run I've put up for them. I stood there and looked at my hens to see if they were all ok. Sterling stayed by my side and stared at them wagging his tail. He didn't pull towards the fence at all. A couple of the hens walked towards us but not coming right up to the fence. Sterling stayed. I didn't see my favorite, so still a little bit worried, I called her by her name. She jumped out of the coop and into view. Sterling still stayed. Seeing that all my hens were all ok, I turned to leave and letted Sterling know. He came and still didn't pull to the fence.
He is appearing to be good as long as I'm around so far. I'm still concerned if he was to accidentally get out when I'm free ranging my birds, though. I know that I probably shouldn't of looked at my birds while I had Sterling with me earlier, but with the commotion that I heard, I was worried so I ran right over to check on them like I always do when I hear them doing commotion.

First of all, you should never ever trust him alone with the chickens - even when he is trained.

I hope she doesn't. It's pretty cruel. It could also make in aggressive towards you.
First statement I agree with.
Second statement is absolutely absurd. You don’t have to believe in the use of shock collars that’s fine, but to say they are cruel is wrong. Can they be used cruelly? Sure I guess, but that doesn’t mean all users are cruel. When used properly will have no impact on the dogs feelings towards their owners.

First statement I agree with.
Second statement is absolutely absurd. You don’t have to believe in the use of shock collars that’s fine, but to say they are cruel is wrong. Can they be used cruelly? Sure I guess, but that doesn’t mean all users are cruel. When used properly will have no impact on the dogs feelings towards their owners.
It might even help their relationship. A lot of dogs get super excited about putting their collar on because they know it means they’re going to work or go on a hike or do some other fun thing with their owners. Used properly, it’s exciting for many dogs. 🥰

It might even help their relationship. A lot of dogs get super excited about putting their collar on because they know it means they’re going to work or go on a hike or do some other fun thing with their owners. Used properly, it’s exciting for many dogs. 🥰
True dat. I know our hound dogs loose their minds when the see theirs. We use Garmin GPS tri-tronics shock combo collars. I doubt anyone would spend that kind of money just to abuse a dog. Sounds more like someone cares enough to properly train and keep their animals under control to me.
I understand people were raised differently and if they feel like they don’t like or want to use shock collars that’s their right and I’m cool with that but to call them cruel is not correct. Heck someone could pick up a stick and beat a dog to death does that make the tree cruel? Of course not.
So blanket statements about anything inanimate being cruel or unjust is largely dependent on the user.

@Lacy Duckwing
I have a husky and one thing about them is they have a really...like REALLY large prey drive. Train her with short periods of time, a few times a day. I recommend watching Oak Abodes channel and her video on training dogs around chickens.

Info on husky’s

Attachments

• 2640FEFB-5E01-40FD-A9B5-B86E49CC7EF5.png
    2640FEFB-5E01-40FD-A9B5-B86E49CC7EF5.png
    464.2 KB · Views: 6
True dat. I know our hound dogs loose their minds when the see theirs. We use Garmin GPS tri-tronics shock combo collars. I doubt anyone would spend that kind of money just to abuse a dog. Sounds more like someone cares enough to properly train and keep their animals under control to me.
I understand people were raised differently and if they feel like they don’t like or want to use shock collars that’s their right and I’m cool with that but to call them cruel is not correct. Heck someone could pick up a stick and beat a dog to death does that make the tree cruel? Of course not.
So blanket statements about anything inanimate being cruel or unjust is largely dependent on the user.
That’s awesome!! I want one of the tracking collars eventually but they’re so expensive! Those ones aren’t as bad as I’ve seen. Some are like $600-$800 :eek: I don’t think I’d spend that much but if someone did, they definitely wouldn’t abuse with it haha and some don’t even use it for shock, just tracking purposes I imagine?

And yeah exactly!!! Any tool can be abusive or cruel. Even a flat collar and leash. I’ve seen people yanking dogs around on those. Also seen them yank the head halters which is worse as it could damage their neck. Also those chafe.

People love to just pick one thing, like a prong or a choke chain or the e collar or whatever, and say it’s cruel when really they just misunderstood. Heck, prongs, for example, are probably one of the least cruel things, despite looking “scary”, because they distribute the pressure more evenly around the neck than a choke or even flat collar does. Flat just puts all the pressure right on one spot, on the trachea.

But people misunderstood and don’t want to bother understanding and just listen to what others say about these things without doing their own research.

I admit I used to think some of these things were cruel too or that I would only do positive or whatever until I did more research and realized that was dumb and I was totally wrong. But most people won’t do the research or if they do, won’t believe it or change their minds.

@Lacy Duckwing
I have a husky and one thing about them is they have a really...like REALLY large prey drive. Train her with short periods of time, a few times a day. I recommend watching Oak Abodes channel and her video on training dogs around chickens.
Info on husky’s
I had known this before and saw it in action one winter when a husky came on my property and went after my birds. I've been told that Sterling isn't good around cats which is fine by me. I don't really want a cat and one house pet is good enough for me. Sterling appears to want to play with them more than eat them, but if he went after them like a toy and got a taste, then we all know that'll change everything. So I'm hoping to prevent it.
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will check out that YouTube channel. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom