How can they lay 2 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I don't know who it is, but I got 10 eggs from 9 hens today. Now, last week, I got 10 also, but two were without shell. Today there were 10 perfect eggs.

This ever happen to you?

Ellie

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    hey thats lucky! What kind of hens?!!

3. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I have, on rare occasions get a hen that lays 2 eggs. It is usually one of my Reds that does. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I have a older black australorp that gives me two every other day. I can not wait to get a roo and try to hatch out some chicks from her.

5. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Aha! So they do. Wow.

ibpboo , I have several different kinds... check out the lines under my signature.

Thanks,
    Ellie

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, it happens, realio trulio. I had that a couple times last summer/fall, in fact one day I had 5 eggs out of 3 hens, absolutely no chance of any mistake.

Most likely either they're starting egg #2 down the production line before #1 is out, although there are other possibilities.

I will say that I haven't had any more two-eggs-per-hen days since one of them, Matilda, developed problems related to being eggbound and laying internally (she eventually died of it). So I would think it was probably her doing the multiple eggs per day. I do not know whether that would be related to her later problems, but it might be something to be just a wee bit extra alert for.

Most likely though it's just a nice surprise for you every now and then [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by