1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can you tell a silkies gender at 1 month or less?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KauAnnie, Jul 31, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    We are going to a local breeder soon to get silkies. We only want girls and the lady said they were around 2weeks to 1 month in age. Just to make sure we are getting girls, I want to know how to determined that. They are $10 a chick so I dont want to waste my money. We plan on getting 4.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Trust me - leave it for another month or so, it's almost impossible to tell the apart at such a young age and if so, unreliably [​IMG]

3. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Sorry, you just cant tell at that age.

4. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    I've been raising silkies for 4 years now and I don't even attempt to sex them for 90 days. Even then I can get it wrong...they're odd little things (but I love them anyway!) Even my standard breeds I let mature about the same amount of time, I'd rather be 99% certain that I'm selling a pullet than have the new owner come back in a month wanting to trade for an actual egg layer instead of the "girl" that started to crow. I sell straight run too, and I make sure the buyer understands that they'll get boys AND girls. You're better off waiting or getting older pullets from someone for a little more money or finding someone who will hold them for you for at least another month. JMO of course.....

5. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Ohh shucks. I think that I am going to buy a few and house them for a while, hopefully most of them are girls. If not, I have to give them away...

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

my silkie, at 17 weeks, still not positive, but pretty sure it's a pullet...I have heard it takes almost to the time they crow or lay to tell!

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's what I've been told, too! I just got a shipment of 16 silkies (we lost 2) and when I tried asking about checking their genders, I was told by EVERYONE to wait to see which ones lay and which ones crow. Frustrating but fun at the same time [​IMG]

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I have a 4 month old silkie that I'm still not totally convinced is a girl!

9. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Can't you figure out their gender by venting?

And if they were Cochin/silkie, would it be easier to tell?

10. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Quote:This one looks like a cockerel to me... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by