How can you tell if dog bite damaged ovaries?

prock family

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2022
My birds were attacked last Monday by a new neighbor's dog. Most escaped untouched but one of my hens is missing all of her tail feathers and there was a nasty bite in that area. She was back out roaming the yard on day 5 but I'm wondering if the injury will impact egg production. Prior to the attack she was a pretty consistent egg layer but she hasn't laid anything since.

If the ovaries were damaged, she'd be in a whole lot more trouble than just being sterile. If the bite produced puncture wounds, she will be fighting serious bacterial infection without antibiotic treatment.

Equally serious is shock from the attack. This will affect laying and can kill if not treated. It's the first thing we need to treat when a chicken is attacked and injured. A cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda given over the first 24 to 48 hours following an attack is the treatment.

Wound care is also necessary to prevent infection. Cleaning wounds daily and keeping serious ones moist with an antibacterial ointment is the protocol.

If the ovaries were damaged, she'd be in a whole lot more trouble than just being sterile. If the bite produced puncture wounds, she will be fighting serious bacterial infection without antibiotic treatment.

Equally serious is shock from the attack. This will affect laying and can kill if not treated. It's the first thing we need to treat when a chicken is attacked and injured. A cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda given over the first 24 to 48 hours following an attack is the treatment.

Wound care is also necessary to prevent infection. Cleaning wounds daily and keeping serious ones moist with an antibacterial ointment is the protocol.
This is what it looks like right now. It's been over a week, what would I be looking for in an infection?

Attachments

• 20221214_082416.jpg
    20221214_082416.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom