How Cherry got her name

SmartyChick

An Official Milkmaid
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Sullivan County NY
OK, I just got to post this story...Today, I decided to give my chickens some canned cherries that I knew I would never use. I rinsed all the sugary syrup off them and gave then to my girls after I let them out to free range. I go about my daily activities. I go back outside to "check" on everyone (really to get some chickie love
wink.png
). I pick up "No Name" one of my Buffies. As I stroke her I feel somthing wet and sticky on her breast. I withdraw my hand and see red.
ep.gif
I called my little sis over to take a closer look because it was on the other side of her body and all I could only see a blob of red. "OH MY GOSH," my little sister cries, "thats her meat!" (she meant flesh actual muscle) I quickly transition from cooing pet owner to highly trained EMT. I quickly but calmly rush the patient to the basement and put her in the sink so I can examine her. She puts up a fight and flaps like crazy. Finally she quiets and I look at her chest. Nothing there! Suddenly I noticed a red blob on the bottom of the sink. I touch it and pick it up. A CHERRY, A DARK RED, WRINKLED MUSHY CHERRY!
he.gif
You can be sure my sister will never hear the end of that one. In fact we named the namless BO "Cherry". It fits her very nicely, she is sweet and her comb and wattles are dark red.
smile.png
big_smile.png
gig.gif

Good one! I have three of those very dark black-red RIR hens and I love to have them just for eye candy. I originally named them Cherry, as in Black Cherry, and two other names that escape me at the moment. Because they are almost identical and I could never tell them apart, I call each one of them Cherry, or just Big Red Girl, LOL.

Poor little chickie. Can't you imagine? She is just roaming around, finds a special yummy and all H#$l breaks out----She is grabbed up, hauled to the basement and dunked in water!!! What on earth!! I bet she stays away from any suspicious little red lumpies in the future!!! Or points them out to any enemy chicks..., "Hey, Biddy, doesn't that look yummy? No, no, you take it.." run, run, run....while happily cluckle/chuckling.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
and for the record, I didn't dunk her in water! I just put her in the empty dry sink. Actually she ran up to me this morning for some snacks, probably short term memory loss

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom