How Cherry got her name

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SmartyChick, Jan 21, 2010.

1. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    OK, I just got to post this story...Today, I decided to give my chickens some canned cherries that I knew I would never use. I rinsed all the sugary syrup off them and gave then to my girls after I let them out to free range. I go about my daily activities. I go back outside to "check" on everyone (really to get some chickie love [​IMG]). I pick up "No Name" one of my Buffies. As I stroke her I feel somthing wet and sticky on her breast. I withdraw my hand and see red. [​IMG] I called my little sis over to take a closer look because it was on the other side of her body and all I could only see a blob of red. "OH MY GOSH," my little sister cries, "thats her meat!" (she meant flesh actual muscle) I quickly transition from cooing pet owner to highly trained EMT. I quickly but calmly rush the patient to the basement and put her in the sink so I can examine her. She puts up a fight and flaps like crazy. Finally she quiets and I look at her chest. Nothing there! Suddenly I noticed a red blob on the bottom of the sink. I touch it and pick it up. A CHERRY, A DARK RED, WRINKLED MUSHY CHERRY! [​IMG] You can be sure my sister will never hear the end of that one. In fact we named the namless BO "Cherry". It fits her very nicely, she is sweet and her comb and wattles are dark red. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    How funny! I have a OE whos all white..my girls named her Cherry, I have no idea why but thats her name!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good one! I have three of those very dark black-red RIR hens and I love to have them just for eye candy. I originally named them Cherry, as in Black Cherry, and two other names that escape me at the moment. Because they are almost identical and I could never tell them apart, I call each one of them Cherry, or just Big Red Girl, LOL.

4. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Who ate the cherry? I hope you gave it to poor "Cherry" to soothe her ruffled feelings! [​IMG]

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    That's a cute story! Maybe she was saving it for later? [​IMG]

6. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing like a little chicken drama to break up your day, eh? [​IMG]

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Cute story! [​IMG]

We have lots of chickens with food names: Sugar, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Oreo, Ginger & Cookie.

8. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    Poor little chickie. Can't you imagine? She is just roaming around, finds a special yummy and all H#$l breaks out----She is grabbed up, hauled to the basement and dunked in water!!! What on earth!! I bet she stays away from any suspicious little red lumpies in the future!!! Or points them out to any enemy chicks..., "Hey, Biddy, doesn't that look yummy? No, no, you take it.." run, run, run....while happily cluckle/chuckling.

9. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] and for the record, I didn't dunk her in water! I just put her in the empty dry sink. Actually she ran up to me this morning for some snacks, probably short term memory loss

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by