how clean?

InspiredtoChick

Chirping
Nov 15, 2015
New Berlin, NY
We inherited a coop when we bought our house. Coop has been abandoned for 5+ years, but is in good shape other than was dirty when we found it. I cleaned out everything loose, swept and scraped. Do I need to have this coop disinfected/sanitized? I'm afraid that if I do any more scraping I'll damage the wood (plywood floor), since the poop nearest the floor is basically cement now. How clean is clean enough? Can parasites live that long in an abandoned coop? I am in upstate NY.

We inherited a coop when we bought our house. Coop has been abandoned for 5+ years, but is in good shape other than was dirty when we found it. I cleaned out everything loose, swept and scraped. Do I need to have this coop disinfected/sanitized? I'm afraid that if I do any more scraping I'll damage the wood (plywood floor), since the poop nearest the floor is basically cement now. How clean is clean enough? Can parasites live that long in an abandoned coop? I am in upstate NY.
You could try sanitizing it with activated oxine. But I don't think there are many bacteria or viruses that are going to live outside the body for over 5 years. You've probably done about as much cleaning as is necessary.
Do you have any pictures of the coop to share? We'd all be happy to offer input on making improvements to make you a more successful chicken owner.
What region of upstate are you in?

I don't think sanitizing after five years will do any good. Is it possible that some virus, bacteria, or parasite is still alive after five years? I guess anything is possible, but if anything is still alive in there is something that is in your environment outside the coop. No amount of sanitizing inside the coop will kill what is outside.

You cannot realistically sanitize everything outside. If there is anything it will be deeper in the dirt than anything you put in it will reach.

You have cleaned it and done everything you could reasonably and responsibly do. I think you are in good shape.

Thanks! Here she is. I will definitely check TS for that sanitizer. I'm about an hour north of Binghamton.
IMG_20201122_140912.jpg
IMG_20201122_141005.jpg
IMG_20201122_141023.jpg

No amount of sanitizing inside the coop will kill what is outside.

You cannot realistically sanitize everything outside. If there is anything it will be deeper in the dirt than anything you put in it will reach.
This is how I feel every day because my coop floors are just... the ground.

Wow it looks great! I'd love to inherit a build like that.

After 5 years empty, I'd think a good sweep and a bit of scraping of anything that'll come loose easily, and you're good to go. I would suggest you finish off the floors with some vinyl/linoleum (as paint/Black Jack may not stick well at this point) to provide protection against moisture and make it easier to clean in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom