How close can quail be kept to chickens?

Daisyhomestead

Hatching
Sep 26, 2021
I know quail and chickens can't be kept together, but my question is how close or far apart can they be kept from each other. For example if I take 1/4 of my existing coop and block it off with chicken wire could I keep quail on that side? Same for the run, Block off 1/4 and let the quail have it? Would the birds need to be completely separated, as in not able to see each other?

I know quail and chickens can't be kept together, but my question is how close or far apart can they be kept from each other. For example if I take 1/4 of my existing coop and block it off with chicken wire could I keep quail on that side? Same for the run, Block off 1/4 and let the quail have it? Would the birds need to be completely separated, as in not able to see each other?
Pictures of your planned setup would be helpful…..it is possible to do something like that but unlike chickens, quail don’t return to a coop, they tend to stay outside to sleep. They can flush 10ft in the air and fly short bursts so run has to be covered and predator proof. The main concerns of keeping with/near chickens is that they could get diseases that chickens are not affected by and risk of injury/death due to size and personality differences.

Yeah, I, too, had had the fantasy of keeping my birds together until Sean and a few others set me straight. When I set up my quail cage, I thought about prevailing winds, sheds, trees and bushes that might block or change wind directions, and set up some good shoe scrapers between the pens. I do not change shoes at this time between the 2 pens, but that might come at some future date. It's an impressive list of pretty awful diseases. Thank you Sean & other quail community folks!

Back
Top Bottom