How cold can a quail chick survive?

Lowmask2

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
I have quail chicks and Its around 120 degrees where i am which is why I can’t keep them outside unless at night.

my heat lamp broke and i cant get one until tomorrow. My house is around 76 degrees and i keep them in the garage since its a bit cooler and bring them in once in a while.

i would prefer to keep them in the house than outside where a rat or something might come get them.

would they survive being in my home? What would be the best way to keep them overnight.

I have quail chicks and Its around 120 degrees where i am which is why I can’t keep them outside unless at night.

my heat lamp broke and i cant get one until tomorrow. My house is around 76 degrees and i keep them in the garage since its a bit cooler and bring them in once in a while.

i would prefer to keep them in the house than outside where a rat or something might come get them.

would they survive being in my home? What would be the best way to keep them overnight.
if fully feathered they can acclimate to nearly any temp! chicks in brooder are slightly different. coturnix can handle 100+ to zero temps if given proper environment

The chicks are only a week old. The garage is around 105 degrees. I currently warmed up a towel theyre snuggled next to it.

At a week old, they still need heat. They can probably get away with high 80s to low 90s. The towel is a good idea. You might try putting some raw rice into a cloth bag and microwaving it for a bit to give a longer heat. Wrap it in a towel.

Good luck!

At 1 week old the temp in the brooder should be around 90°F. The temp can be lowered by 5°F per week until fully feathered out or the ambient temp is 70°F.

Are they coturnix? Funny we all have different recommendations.

My last hatch was ignoring the heat lamp so I turned it off about day 4 or 5 - it was 80-82 in that room. 76 degrees is perfectly fine for week olds.

Are they coturnix? Funny we all have different recommendations.

My last hatch was ignoring the heat lamp so I turned it off about day 4 or 5 - it was 80-82 in that room. 76 degrees is perfectly fine for week olds.
Yep, but each of us use what 'works' for us....it may or may not work in other situations, it's a general guideline that has worked for many breeders for many years!

Yep, but each of us use what 'works' for us....it may or may not work in other situations, it's a general guideline that has worked for many breeders for many years!
Yep, all the studies I read keep heat on until about week 4. I do wonder if I'm sacrificing size or some other characteristic in exchange for early feathering.

Back
Top Bottom