1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How cold can eggs get??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rosewynd, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Rosewynd

Rosewynd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    It's freezing here at night. I know the eggs can't freeze and we are checking for them several times a day, but how cold can fertile eggs get and still be viable?

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I've hatched eggs that were outdoor temps when I found them, in the 30's, nearly frozen, not as high a percentage hatch when they've been that cold but some do. When they're my own eggs and I'm just looking for the next generation I don't much care about probability. I want what hatches from "free" eggs and don't worry about it. I've also hatched previously refridgerated eggs with numbers in the 50-60% range. I've hatched soaked, muddy abandoned eggs - though they needed a LOT of help out because their idiot mother hadn't turned them and they were stuck.

The BEST numbers come from eggs kept in the 55-70 degree range, that are very fresh and normal sized. I like playing with my oddball eggs because every last chick is something I was told couldn't happen or wasn't likely. And I'm like that. So I hatch whatever suits me and much of the time, it works anyway. Nature often finds a way - well outside what "should" work.

3. Rosewynd

Rosewynd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    Thank you! I don't care if the percentage isn't high - but if it's completely pointless, that's different.

I'll go on gathering then, and see what happens. [​IMG]

4. Poyo'sMama

Poyo'sMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Francestown, NH
    Quote:Hi Rosewynd,
    I'm in NH and we recently had a 3 day power outage, I had 11 Olive eggers, 2 Speckled Sussex & 1 dominique survive! I thought it was a miracle~
    But the real reason I'm contacting you is that "RareRoo" sent me your name for Black Java eggs...I'm so interested in some. I have 2 white Javas & would really love to start a flock here in NH
    Please let me know, I'll Pm you also
    Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by