How cold is cold for a chicken?

madtim

Hatching
10 Years
May 16, 2009
I live in Denver Colorado and love my backyard chickens. We are having a cold winter and initially I had a heat lamp in the hen house. however I have noticed in the last few weeks that they dont go into the hen house at night even though its 10-20 degrees. They instead, stay outside on the perch which is covered but cold. Should I be concerned? Thanks Tim (Father Hen)
(

They can handle temps to 0 degrees without heat. What they don't deal well with is drafts or wet comditions. A typical 250 watt heat lamp in a smaller coop is way too much for chickens. They produce a lot of heat and humidity all by themselves. There is a lot of great information on this topic in one of the recent BYC newsletters. Just do a search for it.

I would turn off the heat lamp. They have feathers and will snuggle up together for warmth.

I have read a heat lamp for a hen house is a bad idea because the chickens are shocked when they go out into the cold.

smile.png

Quote:
That and if it falls it can start a fire!

And if the power goes out and they are used to a nice warm coop, they can get chilled and then sick. Lots of good reasons not to heat a coop.

Quote:
That and if it falls it can start a fire!

And if the power goes out and they are used to a nice warm coop, they can get chilled and then sick. Lots of good reasons not to heat a coop.

Yea I had that problem once...
sad.png

I have 5 hens and I think they are very sensitive to cold. In winter I normally light a 15W at night in winters.
I really love my hens

Quote:
Really, now.... they are warm enough to incubate eggs (whether or not they are actually sitting on any).

...that's what I've been told, and what I *intellectually* understand. However, I'm a California gal and while I might be from the coast and be comfy in short sleeves at 55 degrees, I worry when there's a cold snap and the temp drops to 28 degrees. Will my flock be warm enough? (rhetorical question - of course they will be)

Those feathers insulate 'em really well.

Back
Top Bottom