How cold is to cold for bantam?

I've raised Old English Game bantams for six years here in Maine and I never used heat on them. Before our winters started getting warmer, it'd go days on end with barely ever seeing above the single digits (F). For my bantams, they stayed in a 4x8 coop all winter with high perches (heat rises and they LOVED being high) close to the ceiling (sometimes they'd perch by the screens). During the winter, the bantams was never outside unless it was snow-melting warm. When my bantams were getting older, my bantam rooster nearly froze one night, so I moved a small dog kennel into the back of the coop and covered it with an old comforter to insulate it. That worked well with me doing the deep litter method in it. My bantams themselves hated the smaller space, so I only kept them in it when it was really cold.

Yeah I’m in Ohio
It helps if you put this info in your profile.

I have bantams too. Tiny Dutch. No heating. But it doesn’t get that cold where I live. I do block the cold wind where they sleep and use an electric element to warm the water if its freezing during the day. The south side is still open for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom