How cold is to cold for bantam?

booksandcranies

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
Hello! This is my first winter with chickens- and it’s been pretty mild so far. But it’s going to be getting to -1 and it’ll feel colder with wind chill. They do have a coop and a walk in run (it’s a little small but better than the premade ones I’ve seen) - I haven’t gotten a heater for them yet so should I plan on bringing them inside or will they be ok? Keep an eye?

It’s 5 bantam hens

Last edited:
Just to clarify, do you mean -1 degrees Fahrenheit, or Celsius? If it's the latter, they should have no problems, and will not need a heater. If it is the former, I can not give any advice, as it does not get this cold here. What breed are they?

Bantams do fine in cold. My oldest bantam rooster survived the Polar Vortex, & a few Arctic Blasts. I don't use heaters.

The polar vortex the temps dipped as much as -5°F to -10°F at night. Day time temperatures never got much higher then 14°F - 23°F.

We're in for another Arctic Blast, beginning Saturday, here in Michigan.

My dad had jungle fowl (bantams) and never had heat for them and I don't remember him loosing any to cold and that was in the 70s,80s and 90s. Before the so called global warming.

Just to clarify, do you mean -1 degrees Fahrenheit, or Celsius? If it's the latter, they should have no problems, and will not need a heater. If it is the former, I can not give any advice, as it does not get this cold here. What breed are they?
Oh so sorry!! Fahrenheit!

And mostly Easter eggers but I do have a Brahma, a sage gem and a silky

Yeah I’m in Ohio
Bantams do fine in cold. My oldest bantam rooster survived the Polar Vortex, & a few Arctic Blasts. I don't use heaters.

The polar vortex the temps dipped as much as -5°F to -10°F at night. Day time temperatures never got much higher then 14°F - 23°F.

We're in for another Arctic Blast, beginning Saturday, here in Michigan.
I’m in Ohio, it’s mostly been rainy but it’s finally going to, supposedly, drop and temp and possibly snow

Back
Top Bottom