How cold is too cold?! Cold snap!!

Peristeria

Songster
Jul 4, 2020
Hey yall!! Cold snap tonight! Will my ladies need to come inside? It supposed to get 29 degrees and my poor babies have only lived through luxurious warm southern weather! It may snow! Who knows? The weather here does not care it is November and it is usually 70. So, how cold is too cold? Will they need to come in? I have asked this question before but I haven't gotten a real temperature range. How cold have your quail been in? Thanks!!! ☃

are they in a cage or on the ground?? mine are in an aviary and as adults, most will adapt to temperatures down to zero and sometimes below. it’s always a bit scary especially on days like today when there are heavy rains/sleet with falling temperatures. but if they have hiding places and can stay dry and cuddle, they should be just fine.

As long as they are dry and have shelter (think little boxes), they should be fine.
Yes, I put extra bedding in their house but they wont go in!!!! Arrgh! They want to sit out in the cold sand bath! Only one was inside the house, and we always joke about how she is the smartest. It is a wire floor but I will be moving them to the ground permanently in a few weeks/very soon! :weeI'm sure they will be happy but I will be happy too!

Yes, I put extra bedding in their house but they wont go in!!!! Arrgh! They want to sit out in the cold sand bath! Only one was inside the house, and we always joke about how she is the smartest. It is a wire floor but I will be moving them to the ground permanently in a few weeks/very soon! :weeI'm sure they will be happy but I will be happy too!
Are they full grown?

I wouldn't worry.

are they in a cage or on the ground?? mine are in an aviary and as adults, most will adapt to temperatures down to zero and sometimes below. it’s always a bit scary especially on days like today when there are heavy rains/sleet with falling temperatures. but if they have hiding places and can stay dry and cuddle, they should be just fine.
They are in a cage but my outside brooder is all bedding.

Are they full grown?

I wouldn't worry.

9 are full grown but 4 are 2 weeks old. They are separate, no worries. I moved the heat lamp closer (very little, a little is a lot I have learned) and put their heating pad in on the ground for extra protection.

Thanks for the quick responses! It never gets cold here so I was so worried for them!

They are in a cage but my outside brooder is all bedding.

9 are full grown but 4 are 2 weeks old. They are separate, no worries. I moved the heat lamp closer (very little, a little is a lot I have learned) and put their heating pad in on the ground for extra protection.

Thanks for the quick responses! It never gets cold here so I was so worried for them!
South...Texas?

@muddy75 You laugh but I think its dropping down in the 30s tonight.
That is extremely cold for us.

I won't be moving my freshly hatched babies out until they are a week old.

Back
Top Bottom