How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Pics
HI
I'm in Canada it's been below freezing for severla nights now and only going to get wors
gig.gif

I will not be heating my coop for the winter, just placing my waterer in a heated dog bowl. The coop is very well insulated so they will be fine! Most people around here don't even have insulated coops and the chickens do great!

N:_)

Yep... it's 22°F right now, and there are still chickens that prefer sleeping outside and they're fine.
smile.png

Last year I clamped a 40w light bulb onto their perch in the coop for warmth, and we had eggs all winter. It's in the 40's at night here in P-town now, but the girls huddle close together in the coop.

I'm thinking I'll forego the light this year unless it gets really cold for a long stretch then I'm sure I'll cave.

I don't heat my coops either.

My biggest worry would be, if I did heat, when the hydro went out on a cold night and they were now used to having that heat.
Would be a big shock to their systems.

Ice storms and heavy snow storms have been known to take out hydro for days on end.

They all get 'bed time snacks' of BOSS and scratch.
On real cold mornings they get cooked oatmeal, mixed with eggs and they love it!

Mind you - thats after I thaw out, after watching them out playing in the snow and its -20 out. (insert chattering teeth icon)

We get down to the -30's for spells, the only thing that's heated is the water. No insulation in the coup, but a deep layer of bedding and I try to bank the coup up with snow, because where it's at it gets some serious wind.

Right now it get into the 20's at night and they still have just the screen door, might shut the main door if it gets really windy.

I do have the cold hardy breeds too. I think everyone will appreciate the fluffy cochins in the coup this winter. I have 2 coups going right now, but plan on combining them next month before the cold weather really sets in. Oh I just dread my 5 month old "chicks" getting expose to the cruel peaking order of the old girls.

Last edited:
Well it was getting down around 38 tonight and the girls have their heat lamp on in the Keep. Heck it is about 67 F inside the Keep and it is 60 inside the house...they are warmer than I am.
gig.gif

My DH asked me if I was going to give them an electric blankie when it drops below freezing
tongue.png
I told him "No dear, it might catch the shavings on fire so I was thinking about giving them your favorite winter camping blanket"
lau.gif

Last edited:
I think everyone will appreciate the fluffy cochins in the coup this winter.

Mine all vie for the polish bantam hen, someone always tucks her under their wing for a nice little tummy warmer.
lol.png
Bet they'd really like bantam cochins to snuggle with.

I also picked cold hardy breeds. Faverolles seem to be well adapted for cold.​

Being a new chicken mother, I've been staying worried about my girls. I have a heat lamp in their coop, but I'm afraid to leave it on all night - one because it's so bright, and two because of the fire hazzard I'm certain it creates. I turn the light on in the morning before the sun comes up, and at night to warm up their coop a little after it's been open all day (their chicken door).

Right now the coop is 4x6 and I've got 3 standards and 2 bantams. I'm thinking about getting one or two more girls to get them through the winter (more body heat). I'm also going to buy some more bails of straw to use it as outdoor insulation against the nest boxes and outer walls. I just hope it's enough.

Back
Top Bottom