How cold is too cold outside for chicks?

ND Sue

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
ND
I have some 4 week old silkie chicks that are out in a tractor/run combo. The house is an uninsulated dog house connected to a run.
The temp right now is 46 degrees, which isn't too bad... but sometime in the night it's supposed to dip down into the 20's.

Do I need to bring them in or anything? Or will they be ok out there?

Unless you have a bunch in there they may get cold. At 4 weeks typically temps should be around 70 or so, cooler if there are enough friends to snuggle. How about a light for a little extra warmth?

I think that is way to cold for four week olds, silkies take longer to feather out too. I posted asking about temps and when it was ok to move my chicks outside. I have 5 of them, 3 silkies and two EE's who are 7 weeks old. Our nighttime low is 47 degrees and everyone told me they still need a heat lamp. Well, I think they are fine so no heat lamp for mine but if your 4 weeks olds are out in 20 degree temps than I would definately bring them inside or provide a heat lamp.

OK. I'm heading out to bring them in. It has been in as low as in the 30's a night or two, but below freezing just seemed cold enough where I thought I'd better ask.
We had a few spring days in April, but this month has been so cold and feels like Fall! It isn't usually this cold this time of year!
Thanks for your responses.

First off keep in mind that silkies grow much slower than other breeds. Saying that, it is way too cold for ANY 4 week old chick with those temps. Do you have a lamp you can put out there? I have one for my smaller ones and they do just fine with 30 degree temps at night.

Back
Top Bottom