How cold is too cold?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So I am just tossing a bunch of random ideas around in my head. If a chicken is dry and drafts stay above their head, how cold is too cold as long as there is a roof and wind is blocked from blowing on them? I think part of the reason people don’t want to put ventilation in is they think it will keep their birds warmer. So with no heater and no insulation with just solid wood walls, how cold? (For cold-hardy breeds of course).
Thanks!

So I am just tossing a bunch of random ideas around in my head. If a chicken is dry and drafts stay above their head, how cold is too cold as long as there is a roof and wind is blocked from blowing on them? I think part of the reason people don’t want to put ventilation in is they think it will keep their birds warmer. So with no heater and no insulation with just solid wood walls, how cold? (For cold-hardy breeds of course).
Thanks!
Sustained temperatures (do not include windchill or brief dips) where the warmest it gets is -30F. Then, I would add heat of some kind.... I go into depth in my cold weather coop article (link in my signature line, if on a phone turn it sideways).

Sustained temperatures (do not include windchill or brief dips) where the warmest it gets is -30F. Then, I would add heat of some kind.... I go into depth in my cold weather coop article (link in my signature line, if on a phone turn it sideways).
Wow! So no need to close the coop windows if they are not in the same line as the roost bar, correct?

I find my Buff Orpingtons handle the cold much better than the heat. We get single digits, on occasion, and they're comfortable. I have an exhaust fan, up high, that never gets turned off. In fact, my chickens don't even huddle, on the roost, until it's in the teens. My coop is a shed style, with no insulation, and a descent amount of ventilation.

If it's consistently below freezing, the nest room gets a cozy coop heater, but that's only to keep the eggs from freezing.

We are in SE Mass. Close to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, MA. For us we occasionally get below zero F. A more normal temperature is teens for a low. Here is one of the colder days we have noticed since we got the chickens. This has not been too cold for them

You list your location as NYS. Can you narrow that down just a bit?

Attachments

• 1635167977896.png
    1635167977896.png
    666.8 KB · Views: 1
We are in SE Mass. Close to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, MA. For us we occasionally get below zero F. A more normal temperature is teens for a low. Here is one of the colder days we have noticed since we got the chickens. This has not been too cold for them

You list your location as NYS. Can you narrow that down just a bit?
I’m upstate, between Albany & Rochester.

Back
Top Bottom