How cold is too cold?

AudreyP

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
I moved my 6 week old chicks outside 2 days ago. Temps have been perfect 85/60•, but tonight the low will be 44•. Do I need to bring them inside?

Attachments

• 41D53204-94DD-4436-94F5-7E2FD85E8A20.png
    41D53204-94DD-4436-94F5-7E2FD85E8A20.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
They'll be fine.

You need to put chicks into the coop at night to train them where they're supposed to sleep. They don't know that they're not supposed to camp out until you teach them. :)
Oh my gosh! Every time I put a chick in, one would come back out. We need a door…I finally just kept my arms from blocking them. They changed their tune literally when they realized they were warm again. It sounded like purring. They got quiet and stayed in all night. They tried camping out again tonight, but I hearded them in again. It was a little easier this time.

isn't their natural instinct to sleep on something they can roost on? Have they just been laying on the ground to sleep? Even my 3-4 week old chicks in their blooder all sleep on this stick I put in for them.

The lack of a door on most prefabs is so irritating! We played the same game with our first group that went out 😂 Me crawling into the farthest corner of the dumb run, popping one through the door, trying to keep them from all going back out… Eventually I found a frozen lasagna box that had blown into the yard and used that lol. They finally got it after about four days!

Back
Top Bottom