How common are gapeworms?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carrie Lynn, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I was looking forward to letting my hens eat the slugs and an occasional earthworm in my garden this summer.
    Since learning about these bugs being carriers of gapewoms I'm afraid to let them do that.
    What do you all think?
    Has this been a problem for your birds?

Thanks in advance,
    Carrie Lynn

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    GOOD QUESTION..
    My birds free range and eat everything from worms to frogs to mice... No gape worms here.. Heck they even eat worms out of the composting worm bins on occasion.

I tried to research it a few years back.. As I was concerned too..

It seems to be somewhat regional. I have nothing to back this up, but I have the hunch it may be more of a problem where birds are in high concentrations, and are stressed and have muddy poopy ground. (Like in old style mid size commercial operations.)

IMO ask around your area has anyone ever seen Gape worm? I suspect the answer will be no... If so let your birds be natural and eat all those good creepy crawly things they love!
    [​IMG]

After all, humans have been keeping chickens since animals were domesticated without all the worries and plethora of drugs and treatments..[​IMG]

ON
    ps... I am not so sure you will want to let them in your garden unless you want them to eat that too..[​IMG]

3. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    ive had fowl for all my life. and ive never had it. or was aware of it. ive only read about it. never known anyone else to have it either. so id assume its not that prevalent.

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I was reading up on possible parasites in worms. It really does seem to be regional, worse in feed lot type situations, and the prevalence is still low. As far as your area, contacting the local county extension might be helpful, or your local vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by