How common is it for hatcheries get the sex wrong?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
As a newbie I was really surprised to learn that A) it’s incredibly difficult to sex chicks and B) so many posts here are surprise cockerels from pullet bins. It may just be because people will post when they question the sex and don’t post if they’re certain they have pullets, but it seems like the 90% accuracy is an over statement. How often are folks getting groups of chicks labeled pullets and ending up with cockerels in the bunch?

Well, at feed stores it’s a lot more common because people will handle them and then put them back in the wrong bin whether that’s for breed or gender. So there’s a ton of mix ups there. Plus most of the employees don’t know what they’re selling either which adds to the confusion. Direct from the hatcheries I’ve actually had 100% accuracy.

Well, at feed stores it’s a lot more common because people will handle them and then put them back in the wrong bin whether that’s for breed or gender. So there’s a ton of mix ups there. Plus most of the employees don’t know what they’re selling either which adds to the confusion. Direct from the hatcheries I’ve actually had 100% accuracy.
I agree, and in my opinion Tractor Supply is the worst at doing that. I know a lot of my birds are from there, but they are always of wrong quality and/or not what they are supposed to be. The employees also have zero knowledge, so as you said it adds to the confusion. Tractor Supply also sticks straight runs and extra breeds in the pullet bins.

I agree, and in my opinion Tractor Supply is the worst at doing that. I know a lot of my birds are from there, but they are always of wrong quality and/or not what they are supposed to be. The employees also have zero knowledge, so as you said it adds to the confusion. Tractor Supply also sticks straight runs and extra breeds in the pullet bins.
Yeah TSC is horrible for that! Although thankfully ours doesn’t allow customers to handle them anymore but staff put them in the wrong bins too.

that’s been my experience first time. So far one definite cockerel and one mystery breed that I was told was a blue Plymouth Rock but looks to be a cuckoo maran.

I got two others from Ace Hardeare and they were way more organized. Everything was completely separated in closed hardware cloth boxes. No mixed boxes.

that’s been my experience first time. So far one definite cockerel and one mystery breed that I was told was a blue Plymouth Rock but looks to be a cuckoo maran.

I got two others from Ace Hardeare and they were way more organized. Everything was completely separated in closed hardware cloth boxes. No mixed boxes.
Yup I got 6 chicks from TSC and ended up with 3 cockerels. Most likely won't do that again.

Yeah, one time I found half of the chicks in the red sexlink pullet bin are light yellow! They had to be either a different breed or roos.

Back
Top Bottom