After a surprise Cockerel, could you guess the sex on my other "pullets?"

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I have what this wonderful community thinks to be a surprise Cockerel from TSC's pullet bin. Was hoping I could post my other chicks to see if the folks here could throw in guesses for these. all about 3-4 weeks. Did my best to get photos but man its not an easy task! Thanks in advance for input!

Buff Orphington
IMG_1414.jpeg

RIR
IMG_1412.jpeg IMG_1409.jpeg

White Leghorn
IMG_1407.jpeg IMG_1406.jpeg

Easter Egger
IMG_1405.jpeg IMG_1417.jpeg

And I'll add this one I posted about the other day. Mystery breed. Male or female?

IMG_1371.jpeg IMG_1370.jpeg

A little young yet to guess. Generally 6-8 weeks the males will get red combs, so update in a few weeks.

Your mystery chick looks like a barred rock especially if the legs are yellow.
I thought barred too but I went back to TSC and they said they didn't have any barred. They did say they had Cuckoo Marans at the end of May and I got this one first week of June, so I think that could be a possibility. It's definitely not what they told me it was. Blue Plymouth Rock.

I thought barred too but I went back to TSC and they said they didn't have any barred. They did say they had Cuckoo Marans at the end of May and I got this one first week of June, so I think that could be a possibility. It's definitely not what they told me it was. Blue Plymouth Rock.
If it has pink legs than generally marans, but they often are more muddy on the barring. I thought the legs looked more yellow.

Don't trust Tractor Supply, whatever you do. The "Cuckoo Marans" they sell are actually chickens with Blue Marans genes. Also, Tractor Supply does normally sell Barred Rocks.

I see nothing to worry about so far. Re-post at 6 to 8 weeks, and in the meantime, watch the combs. Growth spurts and/or redness in the combs are the best indicators of a cockerel.
Thank! I have a good comparison now too with my definite cockerel in the bunch. This was last week and comb is even bigger and flopping over. So disappointed

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    765 KB · Views: 10
I have what this wonderful community thinks to be a surprise Cockerel from TSC's pullet bin. Was hoping I could post my other chicks to see if the folks here could throw in guesses for these. all about 3-4 weeks. Did my best to get photos but man its not an easy task! Thanks in advance for input!

Buff Orphington
View attachment 3555146

RIR
View attachment 3555147View attachment 3555148

White Leghorn
View attachment 3555149View attachment 3555150

Easter Egger
View attachment 3555151View attachment 3555152

And I'll add this one I posted about the other day. Mystery breed. Male or female?

View attachment 3555167View attachment 3555168
Your mystery breed looks just like our (probably) cuckoo Maran, although yours doesn't have feathery feet, so I guess it's not very helpful. We're quite sure ours is a boy at this point, and at four weeks the comb looked just like yours.

Back
Top Bottom