How creeped out should I be by our bananas right now?

The Banana Spider is known to hide among bananas shipped to the US and is really called the Brazilian Wandering Spider. These spiders are aggressive and very venomous and not intimidated by size (can attack people when threatened).

The odd part about the Banana Spider is that studies indicate only 33% of the spider bites actually contain any significant amount of venom, but those that are injected with venom could be in serious danger!

If you are bitten by a Brazilian Wandering spider (Phoneutria spp.), you should seek immediate emergency treatment as the venom could possibly be life threatening. The Phoneutria not only has a potent neurotoxin, but is said to have one of the most excruciatingly painful spider bites of all spiders due to its high concentration of serotonin.

Despite the Banana Spider’s reputation as the world’s deadliest spider, there are multiple studies that dispute the ability for the spider to actually kill a human and one study suggested that a little over 2% of these spider bites (mostly in children) were serious enough to require antivenom.

On the other hand, there are other studies suggesting that the Banana Spider is indeed the most toxic spider in the world based upon toxicology studies. One of the most notable and thorough studies is presented in the book “Venomous Animals and their Venoms Vol. III” by Wolfgang Bucheral and Eleanor Buckley. This study has some shocking findings that clearly demonstrate how lethal the Brazilian Wandering spider can actually be.

There is an antidote for the bite of a Banana Spider and was discovered by Carlos Chagas from Brazil.

If you see a spider hiding in a cluster of Bananas, you should move right along and possibly inform the store manager that is may be a Banana Spider!

ONE more reason....to NOT eat Bananas!!! Ewww, I dont like them, OR spiders!!!

Oh how funny! Do you have pics of Scrunch? I might have even thought it was cute if it had been a caterpillar....but still freaked out over an imported bug.
smile.png

That would be great, Robinaggie.
smile.png
Thanks.
smile.png

Quote:
th.gif
THAT is what I was afraid of!!!!! And I HATED bananas my whole life until I was pregnant with my now 8 y/o...I then started eating about three a day (during pregnancy) and still eat several a week. Or should I say DID eat them!!!!

OMG, you don't know how I hate spider's. I would call someone from the Dept of Agriculture and report that! I saw too many spider movies as a child.......webs covering whole towns....giant fuzzy spiders bigger than houses........The Fly....remember that ending? I would of fainted on the spot!!!!!

I recently found what looked like a little white cocoon or egg sack on some bananas in our kitchen. It was EMPTY though! I tried not to think about what had come out of it. Eek!
ep.gif

OMG, you don't know how I hate spider's. I would call someone from the Dept of Agriculture and report that! I saw too many spider movies as a child.......webs covering whole towns....giant fuzzy spiders bigger than houses........The Fly....remember that ending? I would of fainted on the spot!!!!!

ROFL....the first thing I said to my kids was that it gave me serious flashbacks from those movies I watched as a kid. But I LOVE spiders....just not some deadly banana spider.

I recently found what looked like a little white cocoon or egg sack on some bananas in our kitchen. It was EMPTY though! I tried not to think about what had come out of it. Eek!

OH MY!!!
th.gif
Maybe they left long long before they got to your house.​

Back
Top Bottom