How deep does the water need to be for drinking?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamieneenah, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Songster

May 2, 2009
    Hi,

I'm new to ducks. I have the ducklings I just got in with a standard chicken type waterer from TSC. They seem to be drinking from it, they make a funny noise when they drink. Is this adequate until they get larger or do they need deeper water now?

Thanks

Jamie
    [​IMG]

2. kawonu

kawonu Songster

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    As long as its deep enough to get their nostrils under the water. They continually clean their nostrils by blowing air under water.

3. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Songster

May 2, 2009
    Quote:They have long bills, I am not confident they are getting there nostrils under water. I better go find a new water thing.

Thanks

Jamie

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I've never had a problem with chick type waterers. If they are a day or so old, they could drown in deeper water. Wait until they are older until you give them deeper water.

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:They will not drown, they really need to be able to submerge their nostrils. I have put mine in a bathtub(supervised) full of water withing days of hatching, no drownings it is their instinct.

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Until you have one drown, I'm sure you don't believe it.

The Storey Guide to raising ducks advises that you put pebbles in the bottom of a chick type waterer for the first few days. I haven't found that to be necessary,but you never know . . . .

7. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I use meatloaf pans and put a big rock in the bottom so they dont dump it over...It is deep enough for them to clean out the nose and not to big for them to drown or take up too much room in the brooder...

8. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I would suggest cutting a hole large enough for head, but not body in a milk carton. For the babies I use a 1/2 gallon plastic jug on it's side. They can and will drown in a bowl at this age. Not fun...they are your babies, so you have to keep them safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: