How did I get a "splash" chick?

Your leghorn must have blue or splash under her dominant white, which is how her chick became a blue paint.
I didn’t even realize the spots were blue!
Actually, I think the Jersey Giant hides the blue.
Leghorns don’t typically have the blue gene.

Have you got blue chicks before with that rooster, OP?

Nice to see Harvey again. 😊
Thanks, he is doing well, and still the sweetest rooster I ever had. :p

harvey with big claws.jpg

The correct nomenclature is:

Dominant White is: I/I
Recessive White is: c/c
Solid Black is: E/E, i+/i+, C+/C+

White Leghorns are: E/E, I/I, C+/C+

White Jersey Giants are: E/E, i+/i+, c/c

The Cross of both breeds are: E/E, I/i+, C+/c

When describing genetic in symbols one needs to pay attention how to note them. Dominant genes are Capitalized and take precedence over the recessive gene, the plus sign indicates the wildtype nature of the gene, for example the i+ is recessive to I and it's found on the original Red Jungle Fowl, other wise people would not be aware if the gene is a mutation or the original expression of a wildtype gene
I really want to learn but this does not compute for me. I need something to refer to to understand. Thank you however, I'm trying!

I didn’t even realize the spots were blue!
Actually, I think the Jersey Giant hides the blue.
Leghorns don’t typically have the blue gene.

Have you got blue chicks before with that rooster, OP?
No chicks from Harvey before that were anything other than black, or black and red mix. This is one of his kids that is not pure black. Mom was an easter egger. Her name is Lily.

Lilly.jpg

I'd love to see what chicks would look like from Fowler and Ella. Ella just started laying 3 days ago. Once she gets established I'm going to incubate a couple of her eggs to see what I get. She is submissive to Fowler and I've seen them "do" it!

Fowler in May.jpg

Ella July 2020.jpg

But what about the "not so wise" others?
You start worrying about getting everything laid out perfect and all the correct terminology etc. It sometimes looks overwhelming, can get confusing and goes over the heads of some.
Sometimes its better for a newbie to keep it simple. Makes it easier to learn and if theyre like I was not so technical looking that it bores them.
Thanks for understanding. I don't find it boring but I don't have anything to relate all the letters to in order to understand this (sorry) mess. I keep trying. . . .:idunno

Back
Top Bottom