How did it go when adding teens to my older crew??

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
Well better then I ever imagined it would!
clap.gif
I mean there were some spats between a few. My cochin pair were complete angels and kind of watched out for the little girls (three total) They are a month older then the girls so its not so bad...they are not full grown either by any means...they are about 10 weeks old now. And the little girls are about 5 1/2 weeks. I had two that I had to talk to about being nice. The others were fine with them. I did put them back in the kennel for the night though...didn't trust them enough YET! We will see how tomorrow goes!
fl.gif

Way to go!! I recently did the same. Now I have 6 year olds, 4 1/2 months old and 5-6 weeks old all living happily together!

My 4 week olds and 12 week olds all slept together for the first time last night. That went well - but this morning one of the little ones left the coop without its "buddies" and my 12 week old roo chased it down and pecked it good (no injury). I wonder though if he was trying to get it to go back to the coop - he has been known to make his hatch mate go to bed when she doesn't want to and will peck her as a reminder to who is in charge.

we have 2 -12 week olds and 2 -1 year old... the older birds are
smaller than the younger birds. If only one "baby" goes into the
run alone with the older ones... they gang up on it mercilessly.
It is so sad. I wish the babies would realize that THEY are bigger!!

here is a picture of Missi ( a baby ) running from bantam Midnight,
who was coming to see me,
and Rusty in the background starting to run up and see what's up (check out his wattle....).
Rose, the RIR, is trying to be invisible to Midnight! lol

l_dd03ceb40a8342d42e74b289d441ead6.jpg

How long did you supervise them together, before letting them be alone together? We have 5 /13week olds and then 2 /5 week olds, we have put a little screened off part for the little ones in the coop, and they have a little run right next to the big run. When we put them together the accidental rooster (headed to a farm in the next few days) chases them down and pecks. One of the hens, stands close to them, but she is very gentle and another one makes a lot of noises at them through the wire so I am not sure if she is being nice or not. I am hopingthey can run together soon, especially because the rooster is leaving.

Well they didn't like eachother the first day but the day olds slept the whole day, but by the end of the week the 4 week olds sorta adopted the little ones, yeah when eating they still get jealous that the little ones are eating and they are not, so its just a little peck on the head, but other then that their fine.

*Note* My brooder is on the floor of the chicken coop and my 4 week olds are in the coop, not the brooder, so the older ones, can get used the little ones without pecking at them or hurting them, they got a cage wall sepperating them, but as I said by the end of the week, the older ones got used to and pretty much adopted the little ones!

Back
Top Bottom