How did my hen manage to hatch her eggs?

I haven’t finished reading the thread. But I had one hen who was around my rooster and then I separated them because I wanted her to be with another rooster. This was in February/March. I was still hatching eggs with the original rooster for months!!

I think some roosters just have long lasting sperm. I stopped hatching eggs so I never found out how long the sperm really lasted but it for sure lasted 4 months.

I knew who the father was because the hen was an olive egger and so was the new rooster I placed her with. While the original rooster was a white leghorn and all the chicks were coming out white.

So if at 6 months that hen hatched eggs that means she still had sperm at 5 months which is probable. At least I’m pretty sure mine would have still at 5 months had I decided to keep hatching but I was tired of getting white leghorns 😂 (since 90% of the time they turned out to be male)

I knew who the father was because the hen was an olive egger and so was the new rooster I placed her with. While the original rooster was a white leghorn and all the chicks were coming out white.

There are some not-white chickens that can produce all-white chicks when they are crossed.

Do you have a picture of the olive egger hen and rooster that were involved?

Having gone carefully through the whole thread I am sure it is a hoax.

OP has disappeared for good and, if there was NO trick, NO wandering roos, and they really DID get the hen 'like 6 months ago' then it is a miracle in which case OP would still be here.

I think we all agree on that now.

There are some not-white chickens that can produce all-white chicks when they are crossed.

Do you have a picture of the olive egger hen and rooster that were involved?

lemme find a picture. I only had 3 olive eggers and they each laid a different shade and the white chicks only came out of one of the shade of olive eggs.

FF0A09F9-28A5-4316-B304-C48AD9DBBFAD.png

lemme find a picture. I only had 3 olive eggers and they each laid a different shade and the white chicks only came out of one of the shade of olive eggs.

If that's the rooster, and if all 3 olive eggers looked the same, then I don't see how any of them would have produced all-white chicks. If the chicks from one hen were white all over, then I see why you think a different rooster was the father--that's what I would think too :)

(It's possible that both parents had the gene for recessive white, but in that case only about 1/4 of their chicks should be all white, and it sounds like you were finding a lot more than that.)

If that's the rooster, and if all 3 olive eggers looked the same, then I don't see how any of them would have produced all-white chicks. If the chicks from one hen were white all over, then I see why you think a different rooster was the father--that's what I would think too :)

(It's possible that both parents had the gene for recessive white, but in that case only about 1/4 of their chicks should be all white, and it sounds like you were finding a lot more than that.)

I just love it when you casually drop in with loads of science and genetics 😁

I really think the father was my white leghorn and his sperm just lasted that long.

Because the chicks would either be full white or some would come out almost white but with a hint of a chipmunk color. Those OE were chipmunk color when they were chicks.

But I guess that’s a test I’ll have to do one day with another rooster. Or better yet this spring I’ll hatch some more OE eggs from the same hens and if some still turn out white then I’ll conclude it was a recessive gene since my white leghorn roo has gone to rooster heaven.

I really think the father was my white leghorn and his sperm just lasted that long.

Because the chicks would either be full white or some would come out almost white but with a hint of a chipmunk color. Those OE were chipmunk color when they were chicks.

But I guess that’s a test I’ll have to do one day with another rooster. Or better yet this spring I’ll hatch some more OE eggs from the same hens and if some still turn out white then I’ll conclude it was a recessive gene since my white leghorn roo has gone to rooster heaven.
You'll have to use the same clb male as well for that test to work

Back
Top Bottom