How did my hen manage to hatch her eggs?

You'll have to use the same clb male as well for that test to work

clb?
Yes those hens and same rooster are still together. I did lose one hen so I’ll only have two instead of the three. I hope it wasn’t her eggs that were producing the white chicks or this test run will be all for naught! (Is that the right term 😂)

clb?
Yes those hens and same rooster are still together. I did lose one hen so I’ll only have two instead of the three. I hope it wasn’t her eggs that were producing the white chicks or this test run will be all for naught! (Is that the right term 😂)
Sorry, thought that was the breed. Anyhoe, it would need to be the exact same pairing

Sorry, thought that was the breed. Anyhoe, it would need to be the exact same pairing

ohh cream legbar? Yeah they kinda look like it but they’re not.

yeah it will be the same pairing minus that one hen. I personally hope I don’t have anymore white ones since they were always smaller than the rest like true white leghorns 😆 but if I don’t white ones there will always be that “it coulda been from the passed away hen”

Well I’ll try to remember to report back with my findings. I’ll put a bookmark here.

hmm I kinda wanna try to incubate old OE eggs from my fridge now and test that out. Hmm. So many ideas.

ohh cream legbar? Yeah they kinda look like it but they’re not.

yeah it will be the same pairing minus that one hen. I personally hope I don’t have anymore white ones since they were always smaller than the rest like true white leghorns 😆 but if I don’t white ones there will always be that “it coulda been from the passed away hen”

Well I’ll try to remember to report back with my findings. I’ll put a bookmark here.

hmm I kinda wanna try to incubate old OE eggs from my fridge now and test that out. Hmm. So many ideas.
Do you have pictures of the chicks as adults? Recessive white is always completely white; so if any of the white chicks have black spots or red leakage, then they’re definitely from the leghorn.
The chick in the first article looks like a regular, two-winged chicken. :hmm

Any chance y’all can give me an overview? I️ forgot to check in this thread for a while. Did you every figure out why she was able to hatch eggs?
Thanks 😅

Do you have pictures of the chicks as adults? Recessive white is always completely white; so if any of the white chicks have black spots or red leakage, then they’re definitely from the leghorn.

The chick in the first article looks like a regular, two-winged chicken. :hmm

It looks like it's more common to have a guinea hen being mated by a domestic chicken rooster, but the lady in the article didn't have a rooster, only male guineas. :confused: Some seem to look more chicken, others more guinea-ish.

https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry...t=Guinea x Chicken Hybrids, aka,is 25-26 days).

Guineas can also hybridise with peafowl and turkey and there are photos of them too.

Any chance y’all can give me an overview? I️ forgot to check in this thread for a while. Did you every figure out why she was able to hatch eggs?
Thanks 😅

No, it was never figured out for sure.

Discussion has included whether the other hen was really a rooster (nope), whether the hen had stored sperm from a rooster at her previous home (enough time had passed that it seems highly improbable), whether a neighbor might have a rooster that would come visiting (OP says no-one nearby has any chickens at all), whether there might be a stray or feral rooster or someone just dumped one in the area (OP says none of those are possible), whether a hen's egg can be fertile without mating (parthenogensis in chickens has never been documented to produce live chicks).

Basically, if it isn't a hoax or a troll, we're all still stumped.

The most recent few posts have been discussing a different poster, who was hatching white chicks despite the white rooster having died months before (a different rooster was still with the hens, so it's a question of which rooster was the father.)

From the first hatch yes they had leakage, but the first hatch I had just separated the hens with the new rooster and it hadn’t been more than a month before I collected and incubated the eggs.

But for the next few hatches I didn’t keep them long enough to see if they did. I did keep one hen and she’s completely white. I’ll take a pic.

Back
Top Bottom