How did we do for our first coop? Any suggestions? Almost finished

Well ya'll did a very nice job! Post pics when you get your ladies all moved in :D
Well ya'll did a very nice job! Post pics when you g
Where are you located?
I don't see any ventilation besides the window in the coop.
That may turn into a problem quickly.
I have a few circular vents cut into the run side of coop, not in picture. There is a second window on run side That will be normally open. Is that enough? We are on Long Island New York. Hot in summer but 4 seasons. I was afraid to have too much perman venting in the winter. am I looking at it wrong? S there a rule of thumb?

how much ventilation is correct in the winter?
As much as possible. I live in Northern Ohio, I keep my small windows open all year, as long as the girls don't have a wind hitting them on the roost, they are fine
Is the door opening from bottom a mistake?
I would think bedding and eggs would fall out when you opened it

Welcome to BYC. That's an attractive and well-built coop and should be a good size for 6 birds. You should be proud of it.

However, I agree with the others in re: concern for adequate ventilation.

The usual guideline is a MINIMUM of 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen.

I have a few circular vents cut into the run side of coop, not in picture.

Given that the windows referenced are likely to have to be closed in the winter to keep drafts out of the roosting area and the fact that even small amounts of snow block ridge vents, this is unlikely to be adequate.

Winter ventilation is necessary because while chickens tolerate DRY cold down to 0F and below, moisture plus freezing temperatures causes frostbite. The chickens themselves generate a great deal of moisture from their breath and their poop, especially at night when they're on the roost.

This is what you're looking for in terms of airFLOW to remove that moisture:

Airflow Crayon.png

If you can open up your soffits under the roof overhang and open the entire gable triangle inside the run where it's sheltered by the roof that should give you the airflow you need. :)

As much as possible. I live in Northern Ohio, I keep my small windows open all year, as long as the girls don't have a wind hitting them on the roost, they are fine

I would think bedding and eggs would fall out when you opened it
I will rethink the door. i didnt Really think about that. i Could leave the window on the run side open year round. It would offer the most shelter. Ill post the changes when I make them.

Welcome to BYC. That's an attractive and well-built coop and should be a good size for 6 birds. You should be proud of it.

The usual guideline is a MINIMUM of 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen.

Given that the windows referenced are likely to have to be closed in the winter to keep drafts out of the roosting area and the fact that even small amounts of snow block ridge vents, this is unlikely to be adequate.

Winter ventilation is necessary because while chickens tolerate DRY cold down to 0F and below, moisture plus freezing temperatures causes frostbite. The chickens themselves generate a great deal of moisture from their breath and their poop, especially at night when they're on the roost.

View attachment 3114343

If you can open up your soffits under the roof overhang and open the entire gable triangle inside the run where it's sheltered by the roof that should give you the airflow you need. :)
I definitely could completely open the run side gable. And removing the blocks in The soffit would Be easy as well. I had never heard it explained like that. I was so worried about too much draft, I never even considered moisture. This is why I joined here. I’ll post pictures when finish modifying

View attachment 3114343

And thank you

Back
Top Bottom