How did you choose names?

golddustmommy

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
MA
I was just curious as to how everyone chose their names for their chickens. And did you have to change the names when you found out some were not girls?
I'm a little obsessed and named all of mine after characters from a show I watch. I'm hoping if I get any boys that it will be the ones with the unisex names hahahah

I got my hens as pullets, so we knew they were all ladies. We have a theme going:They are all named after apples. The black lady in my profile pic is Fuji. There is also Macintosh, Gala and Granny Smith. I figure this is a trend we can keep going for quite some time, as I can only have 4 hens at a time.

It didn't take me long to figure a name out for each mine. I knew exactly the moment I brought them home and interacted with each one, their name kindve came to me.

We had one chick that we thought was a girl who was much bigger than everyone else. For a while she was named Big Bertha. When we found out she was actually a male, we re-named her/him Walter...
The others are named based on personality and/or appearance (Buffy 1 and Buffy 2, Specky, Peanut, Fidget, Goldy Hawn and the two smallest are Nugget and Honey.)
I also have a single comb Gold Laced Wyandotte cockrell I named Mr. T.

Usually I name mine after something personal to the chicken. Either their appearance (once they have settled into what they will look like) or personality. Braveheart (one of my EE hens) for example literally ran up and jumped into my hand the moment I lowered it into the brooder box at the feed store, and ever since has almost always been the first to try anything new.

I try to name my chicks unisex names if we hatch them ourselves, because you never know who will be a boy and who will be a girl. For example, I named one of my chicks Neptune (I only named her that bc her mother was named Jupiter XD) and she turned out to be a girl.

I try to name my chicks unisex names if we hatch them ourselves, because you never know who will be a boy and who will be a girl. For example, I named one of my chicks Neptune (I only named her that bc her mother was named Jupiter XD) and she turned out to be a girl.

I have a mixed flock of 20 hens and I have 2-3 of each breed. I picked a letter of the alphabet and picked a name that was suitable. For example, I have Birdie and BeyBey who are Blue Andalusians and Frannie, Frieda and Flora who are Ameracaunas...and the list goes on!

Back
Top Bottom