How do I add more protein?

That's wild about the protein...I'm curious about grams per serving.

Did anyone look at the other breakdowns? It has lysine and choline, two needed nutrients. Does anyone know how much lysine a bird needs off hand? Save me from googling my night away?

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I've read that using the deep litter method can provide quite a bit of protein for your flock. I think Salatin states that it can provide 100% of a flock's protein needs....not sure about if that applies to anything other then a dirt floor coop, though.

The way I read it, the bugs that inhabit the deep litter and feed on the feces are part of it....and the feces are also part of it. Some CAFOs even feed chicken litter to cows, sheep, and hogs for the high protein levels in the chicken feces.

All that wonderful goodness winds up in your local grocery's meat freezer for your eating pleasure......
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
i get mine freeze dried. it's not nearly as much fun as watching the chickens fight over a wriggly mealworm, but they are much cheaper and don't die on you. i can get about 5 times as many freeze dried as i can live for about the same price.

i've actually read that drying earthworms raises the % protein by weight from 28% to 76%. if this holds true for mealworms, the dried ones must be PACKED with protein. my birds gobble them up!

digitS' :

Lysine: Laying, daily intake per hen: 700 milligrams
Nutrient Requirements of Poultry

digitS'

One word of caution when using the NRC Nutrient Requirments for determining the level of nutrients, they are generally viewed as bare minimums as they typically are derived from averages of averages.

Livestock Nutritionists such as myself rarely use the NRC to formulate feeds except when facing nutrients that have little research published.

Jim​

Thank you, Jim.

The "USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference" that I cited above, is just that - a "standard reference" and an "average of averages," as you say.

I was also curious about what Sommrluv meant by:

grams per serving.

But, couldn't think of an answer for that . . .
wink.png
. . . For chickens?

The "serving" I look at is 100 grams which is about 3.5 ounces. Of course, I doubt it that's the "serving" of gelatin (or lard
hmm.png
). But, since some of the nutrients are listed as grams, Xgrams/100grams = a percent.

Steve​

LOL, sorry we crossposted.

I was actually curious if there's that much protein in dry gelatin, what does that equate to in grams per serving...for humans. Just thinking/typing out loud.

Here's your homemade high protein blueberry jello! I purchased gelatin because I use it sometimes when making pate, but I'm on a medically neccessary high protein diet. I'd love to know if it REALLY is that high, and how I could have fun with it. Just a little OT

Back
Top Bottom