💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

Me and another member, @MadisonOde, were wondering how to cage train a chicken.
I would just like to know a easy, at home, simple way to do it. I'm not sure what she wants. But, I do know that she just got a new show hen and wants to cage train it. So here I am, asking for both of us.

Thanks in advance!

@cluckmecoop7 (and @MadisonOde)

That's the only reason I could think of for cage training. What is your purpose for cage training?

I want Kiwi, one of my Buff Orpington's to know how to be calm in a cage. She's always freaking out. And, when/if she gets hurt, she will be calm and not flap around. Besides, I might go to a show someday.

I want Kiwi, one of my Buff Orpington's to know how to be calm in a cage. She's always freaking out. And, when/if she gets hurt, she will be calm and not flap around. Besides, I might go to a show someday.

Place the cage where she can get to it. Let her get use to it over time. Once she is comfortable with it and realizes that the cage isn't something to be feared start giving her "cage treats". Something she likes but only gets in the cage. Give her a few treats in the cage but don't close the door. Do this a couple times a day for a few weeks. Then you can start shutting the door. Shut the door on her and let her finish her treats. After she has finished her treats then let her out. After a while start leaving her in the cage for a few minutes longer each time. Over time she will understand that the cage means treats. And she cage isn't "going to hurt her". Chickens are much smarter than people realize. And a bad experience or a person that hurt them can stick with them for years. And they do remember.

Cage training for showing is similar but different. The birds are placed in practice cages similar to what they'll be shown in 24/7. They are fed and watered in the cages. Also they have to get use to others being caged next to them without fighting with them. They are taken out and handled a few times a day to get them use to that. Keeping them penned separately also keeps them from damaging their feathers. A broken feather is a major deduction at a show.

Place the cage where she can get to it. Let her get use to it over time. Once she is comfortable with it and realizes that the cage isn't something to be feared start giving her "cage treats". Something she likes but only gets in the cage. Give her a few treats in the cage but don't close the door. Do this a couple times a day for a few weeks. Then you can start shutting the door. Shut the door on her and let her finish her treats. After she has finished her treats then let her out. After a while start leaving her in the cage for a few minutes longer each time. Over time she will understand that the cage means treats. And she cage isn't "going to hurt her". Chickens are much smarter than people realize. And a bad experience or a person that hurt them can stick with them for years. And they do remember.

Cage training for showing is similar but different. The birds are placed in practice cages similar to what they'll be shown in 24/7. They are fed and watered in the cages. Also they have to get use to others being caged next to them without fighting with them. They are taken out and handled a few times a day to get them use to that. Keeping them penned separately also keeps them from damaging their feathers. A broken feather is a major deduction at a show.
This is really interesting. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom