How do i catch a chicken?

miron28

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
lenoir north carolina
Hey everybody I have a question? A lady gave me 20 chickens for free but the problem is I have to catch them! They are not in a coop they are free ranged. The lady said they started off with two and they want on from there. Now she said it is time for them all to go! What is the best and easy way to catch them? I am going this Saturday to try and I need some ideas so I don't look crazy chasing after chickens all day! I thought about using a cast net but I am afraid that I will hurt them. What do you guys think? Anyone have any ideas?
big_smile.png

get a pen or cage, lift it up with a stick under it and a rope tied to the stick, throw feed or something in the pen, when their under PULL (but make sure it has no chance of landing on them), get a fishing net, catch them. pen them in.. wait until night and climb up a tree or where ever they roost to catch them, feed them by your feet, and reach down and grab them.

-the ways i've done it.. may be more though

-Daniel

hey DTchickens i like what you said. Wait until night and climb up a tree or where ever they roost to catch them sound like a good plan. She said that 4 of them are laying and the other one are about to start. I can beat the price!

You know what they say "if it is for free it is for me"
big_smile.png

If you have any other birds be sure to quarantine these new ones before adding them to your flock. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Good luck with catching them, I'd suggest the net. If the other chickens see the whole cage thing they'll learn from it. I corner mine to catch them, or lure them with scratch, watermelon, or whatever is really really tempting for them!

I saw someone post that they used a pool leaf net--might be able to get one on clearance this time of year. the easiest way is to watch around dusk, wait for dark and then sneak up on them---they are blind or sleeping when it is dark. donna

edited to add another thought..if you could bribe them with food/scratch to get them in a enclosed area would make it easier also.

Last edited:
Good luck. I know when my chickens get shut out of the coop (the wind sometimes blows the run shut while they are free ranging) I often have problems finding them after dark to put them away. I have no idea where they run away to hide, but I've never found them yet, and I have no trees.

Back
Top Bottom