How do I clean a wooden chicken coop?

Lillyk24

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
Hi there, can anyone help me? I am still new to chickens, started last year with them, and I want to thoroughly clean their coop out, can I use water and bleach to clean and kill anything in there (besides the chickens)? It's a wooden coop so I am concerned of rot or mold, but I thought if its a nice day out I can power wash it out completely, but is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any advice!

That is actually a good idea.
Make sure you don't wear nice clothes though! ;)

Take a broom and a bucket...
Put 60% water and 40% bleach in there.
Rub the coop with the bleach broom.

The only con is you have to let it dry overnight.
(Unless it's in the sun) then all day.

Good idea again!
I hope this helps!

-The Angry Hen

Hi there, can anyone help me? I am still new to chickens, started last year with them, and I want to thoroughly clean their coop out, can I use water and bleach to clean and kill anything in there (besides the chickens)? It's a wooden coop so I am concerned of rot or mold, but I thought if its a nice day out I can power wash it out completely, but is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any advice!
Bleach and water mixed does a good job to kill bacteria etc. Sure you can pressure wash it if its built out of material that the water will not hurt and if you do that---open it up and let it dry quick as possible---even a fan blowing in it is good.

Also be sure to protect your lungs with a mask, and your eyes with goggles. Since I have metal and wood coops I use a mixture of lysol diluted with water as per directions and add a teaspoon or two of Dawn for extra sudsing action and scrub away with a broom. I also use a fan to decrease drying time. Afterwards I take a long shower....;)

I have an old wooden coop, that would probable melt if I really tried to scrub it out, so I don't. I scrape out the 'big hunks' and rebed the shavings, and call it good enough. I also have a flock that is healthy, and have never had to depopulate and start over. :fl Mary

I have an old wooden coop, that would probable melt if I really tried to scrub it out, so I don't. I scrape out the 'big hunks' and rebed the shavings, and call it good enough. I also have a flock that is healthy, and have never had to depopulate and start over. :fl Mary

Same here:thumbsup

We do use a portable blower to get the dust and cobwebs out.

Back
Top Bottom