How do I clean her vent..pics

Neck is totally fine..wings so so, cant really tell. Its mostly the legs. She has moved from one spot to another, seems she just falls over on trying and cant get up. This morning was a sight to see, been repositioning her all day. She is for sure on determined hen.

Bella in her sick bed..don't mind the mess and stains, they not hers, old towels. I am sooo hoping she pulls through. And she has no problem with the feed or oyster shells.

Neck is totally fine..wings so so, cant really tell. Its mostly the legs. She has moved from one spot to another, seems she just falls over on trying and cant get up. This morning was a sight to see, been repositioning her all day. She is for sure on determined hen.
I was just wondering about the possibility of botulism. Could she have gotten into anything that has rotted, like an animal or fish carcass, rotting vegetation from a compost bed, or maggots? Botulism is a toxin that can cause leg paralysis, then it climbs upward in the body affecting wings, then the neck, and so on. In botulism feathers can be easily pulled. Mareks is more common though. Neither has a treatment that cures it. Here's a link about botulism: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism

No..I do worry about them free ranging when I haven't been out to do poopy patrol for dogs..I usually do this when first let them out. Not even sure is something to worry about. Lets say for now it is Mareks..I did read that wonderful post of information on here. I did think for a mere second I was ok, cause the ages of symptoms. Till I read directly under that, older hens can develop symptoms as well. There is a slight chance she can pull through this? I did want to send a message to her and ask :)

If he does have Mareks, and you don't know that yet, sometimes they can have a transient paralysis, that can go away, then later develop other symptoms such as lymphomas or tumor. I'm not an expert on Mareks--many others on here know much much more.

You can also treat with sevins dust and again in 7 to 10 days. All your birds will need treating as well as completely cleaning your coop and treating. Also treat for worms with Safeguard. Lice you can see, do you see the bugs? Is that blood on the right in the picture?

As being a newbie and having lice on Mo the hen, I dusted her with Sevin. I plan on following your directions, Sevin is not dangerous for the hens? What about for my dog that likes to mix with them now and then?

I plan on removing all bedding from coop and run and dusting entire area with Sevin. Will this be sufficient?

When using sevin dust, avoid the hens eyes and nostrils. Sevin wont hurt your dog, I've used it to dust my dogs years ago.
It's up to you whether or not you want to remove bedding or not. I prefer to put a pile of sevin dust at the entrance to the hen house and hit it full blast with the leaf blower. The dust gets in every little crack and crevice, it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to settle. Make sure there arnt any birds inside and wear a mask and old chicken clothes/shoes if you decide to do this.

Back
Top Bottom