How do I connect hardware cloth to hardware cloth?

How do I "seal the seam" between 2 sheets of hard cloth? I was using wood on the few places I needed to do this when I was building the coop, but now I'm going to start building the run. The hardware cloth is 4 ft. high, the run is going to be 6 ft. high. So, there's going to be 2 layers of the cloth and a lot of seams, which would mean a lot of wood just to seal those seams. Is there a different way to do it, or someplace to get the hardware cloth in 6 ft. high rolls (I bought my old hardware cloth from ebay, so if there's a better place in general please let me know).
I have used a small wire to basically “sew” the seams together by weaving the wire through the openings. You could also use cable ties.

Zip ties will get brittle in the sun over time, then break. Hog nose rings work well, but you’ll need hog nose pliers, too. Galvanized bailing wire is easy and cheap. Cut a 4” piece, bend in half, thred through the wire and twist with plyers. Cut off excess. Both hog nose rings and bailing wire can be had from the local hardware store or Amazon.

How do I "seal the seam" between 2 sheets of hard cloth? I was using wood on the few places I needed to do this when I was building the coop, but now I'm going to start building the run. The hardware cloth is 4 ft. high, the run is going to be 6 ft. high. So, there's going to be 2 layers of the cloth and a lot of seams, which would mean a lot of wood just to seal those seams. Is there a different way to do it, or someplace to get the hardware cloth in 6 ft. high rolls (I bought my old hardware cloth from ebay, so if there's a better place in general please let me know).
I've used tie wire (used to tie rebar-available at hardware stores) to tie overlapping hardware cloth about every six inches. Even though the wire isn't galvanized, it holds up well over the years, and is flexible enough to twist with a pliers.

I used the wire that was holding the hardware cloth rolled together.

Attachments

• DBA20D38-80E0-4178-8241-2FF1C44A2E79.jpeg
    DBA20D38-80E0-4178-8241-2FF1C44A2E79.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 14
Zip ties don’t sound very secure to me.. but do you have any wire?
View attachment 3128270
You could thread it through the mesh and ‘sew’ it together. I’d do it overlapping though (the mesh) instead of right next to each other so that you can’t just pull the wire apart.
This is how I did it. I used wire like the twist ties on bread packaging, snipping off the excess and bending it in so it doesn’t catch on anything. The wire I used was craft stainless steel wire used for hanging pictures, about 20 gauge or thinner.

I would overlap the pieces and put a piece of wood over the overlap pieces of hardware cloth. Also make sure you staple the pieces in place before you cover it up

Back
Top Bottom