How Do I Connect Welded Wire With Dowels? Staple?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PepsNick, Mar 3, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I will be purchasing thick dowels for the posts of new run, and plan to use welded wire for the netting. I guess I can call it netting... Anyways, how do I connect it to the dowels? Wood stapler? Tie it, somehow? I want to ensure that it's secure from predators.

I found dowels that are four feet high, and the wire is six feet high. I was also wondering if their was some way that I would put welded wire on the top, on top of the welded wire on the sides?

Thank you.

Nick

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I'd just use tie wire, but I really don't understand how you are putting 6 foot fence on 4 foot "posts". We use 8 foot t-posts and put 2 feet of then in the ground. How much of your dowel is going in the ground?

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:I'd just use tie wire, but I really don't understand how you are putting 6 foot fence on 4 foot "posts". We use 8 foot t-posts and put 2 feet of then in the ground. How much of your dowel is going in the ground?

Okay. The welded wire is 6 feet tall, and the dowels are four feet tall. That meaning that two feet of the welded wire sticks up above the dowels. I'm guessing that the dowels will go about half a foot into the ground.

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    How about using zip-ties. I use them sometimes and they seem to hold up really good.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:That's really not going to work. The welded wire over the top of the post is just going to fold over and a dowel six inches in the ground is going to fall over at the first breeze, especially with the weight of a steel fence.

6. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Zip ties are good for quick and dirty, but if you are serious about the wire staying attached, then you should use hog rings. Amazingly enough there is an entire site dedicated to hog rings.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You need to use t-posts, like this photo I've found:

[​IMG]

8. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:That's really not going to work. The welded wire over the top of the post is just going to fold over and a dowel six inches in the ground is going to fall over at the first breeze, especially with the weight of a steel fence.

When we burry the dowels, I was also going to burry bricks around them underground. Would that help?

These are the dowels. http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Moulding-Millwork-Dowels/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaqif/R-100536433/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

You
    said that the welded wire would fold over... Welded wire is very sturdy, isn't it? I have a roll of it that is four feet tall with 3 foot metal tall stakes, and none of it folds over. Are you sure that it could do that? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  9. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Okay, great! Thank you!

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    White zip ties will rot and fall off in no time flat, use t-posts clips, these are soft wire clips that are sold by the bag for tying fences to t-posts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by