how do i convince my parents to let me get a duckling?

sadly we dont have chickens, though I wish they did there so cute and great for eggs! I know they're messy but I'm willing to clean up as much as i need to! And for the breed, I think want an Indian runner, im not sure though. I think all duckies are cute!
Might wanna look up that breed as they are skittish unless you dont care if you never touch them

sadly we dont have chickens, though I wish they did there so cute and great for eggs! I know they're messy but I'm willing to clean up as much as i need to! And for the breed, I think want an Indian runner, im not sure though. I think all duckies are cute!
Yes, get indian runners that is my favorite breed! Where are you going to get them from? You can print the pics of my ducks if you want!

oh ok I dont know that much about them and just thought they might be a good choice, but thanks for the advice!
but all I really want in a duck is that will like to hang out with me!

I think you are in love with the **idea** of ducks. Fueled by no small amount of nostalgia.

I have ducks. and chickens. and goats. soon, rabbits.

Ducks are:
Loud, obnoxious, DIRTY MESSY DISGUSTING eaters, sometimes aggressive (even to humans), unreliable layers, and expensive to maintain.

Why do I have them??? Fast growing dark meat for the table. Also, they make a good beef substitute in sausages or ground as burgers.

Your parents have said no, no small number of times, and offered reason. Perhaps tongue in cheek, when another parent offered some examples of less than reliable teenager behaviors, you suggested they resembled yourself. Your existing animals, unlike ducks, are all very low maintenance, with limited space requirements. Moreover, as a teen, in just a few years, you are looking (most likely) towards college or trade school - some place where you can't bring your ducks. So your current want commits your parents to years of maintaining "your" duck, after you are (likely) gone from the household.

Welcome to BYC. Put your ducky desires on hold, enjoy ducks vicariously through our flocks, continue to educate yourself about them, and have you considered an avian veterinary career??? Plenty of cat and dog vets, very few we find with decent knowledge of poultry and waterfowl.

This bowl of water had been changed maybe 10 min before this picture was taken. (some of my Pekin hens)
1640204246212.png

/edit Oh, and of all my animals and planned animals, "duck droppings" are the most likely to appear nearly everywhere (chickens can go some places ducks can't), and hands down the most disgusting to clean up. Goats and rabbits both drop pellets - easy to rake away, not to harsh on green growing things. Chicken droppings are high nitrogen, hard on grasses (can burn new growth), roughly one in ten stinks, but they are mostly dry when dropped, finish desicatting quickly, and go to dust. Duck droppings? Much wetter, typically, and a disease vector for at least as many discomforting "things" (e coli, salmonella, crypto,etc) as chicken droppings, but larger and harder to clean up. Really all you can do is hose them into the ground or wait on Mother Nature to do her thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom