How do I convince my pullets?

Cattle dog Mom

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
North central, WA
That everything is NOT hot lava? Granted they have only been here 3 days. They seem to be convinced that they need to live INSIDE only. (The "coop" is 12x12 and there are only 5 girls so they have plenty of space inside. But that isn't the point. LOL) They like to be outside a little bit. I have to "herd" them out, then guard the door so they don't go right back in. They have ZERO concept as far as roosts/perches are concerned. (They sleep on the floor in a pile. They are 5ish months old.)
Do they just need more time? Or what do I need to do? (They are also NOT "tame". They are a bit afraid, but getting better. But not the "walk up and pick them up and put them on the roost types.) Even in the run, they don't get on the roost bars I have, they either fly/jump over them or crawl under to get past them.

(No need to be snarky, they are my very first chickens. I have heritage turkeys that found their roost within the first 5 minutes I had them and they were younger than these pullets when I got them.)

There is a lot of variety of behavior and temperament among chicken breeds. Some are flighty and some are very friendly. Yours have come to you nearly grown, so they have formed "opinions" about humans that you'll be bucking.

All chickens, even chicks, need to feel secure in their new home and know their way around before they feel comfortable venturing out from the safety of the coop. They won't want to go running out without any care in wild abandon before they've tested the water. They are prey animals, and it's instinctive to take things slowly.

As far as learning to trust their human, you need to gain their trust gradually. Don't rush them. If you set aside a short period each day to talk and get acquainted with them, that will help them to learn to trust you. Treats help. Use this breaking in period to teach your new chickens to come when you call them. Use a code word or a clicker or whistle in conjunction with treat giving and very quickly you will have chickens that will run to you when called rather than running from you.

There is a lot of variety of behavior and temperament among chicken breeds. Some are flighty and some are very friendly. Yours have come to you nearly grown, so they have formed "opinions" about humans that you'll be bucking.

All chickens, even chicks, need to feel secure in their new home and know their way around before they feel comfortable venturing out from the safety of the coop. They won't want to go running out without any care in wild abandon before they've tested the water. They are prey animals, and it's instinctive to take things slowly.

As far as learning to trust their human, you need to gain their trust gradually. Don't rush them. If you set aside a short period each day to talk and get acquainted with them, that will help them to learn to trust you. Treats help. Use this breaking in period to teach your new chickens to come when you call them. Use a code word or a clicker or whistle in conjunction with treat giving and very quickly you will have chickens that will run to you when called rather than running from you.
Thank you. I'm not worried about the way they react to me. They are young and I am a stranger. And as I said, even after only 3 days, they are getting much more comfortable with me being around. I sat in the run on a stool today and a couple were right at my feet scratching around. What about the sleeping in a pile on the floor rather than wanting to roost somewhere? Give them time? Or ?

T
Give them time. When they appear to trust you and don't freak when handled, you can then begin to place them on the perch as it gets dark. They will quickly learn that roosting is a splendid and way safer way to sleep.
Thank you. SO many people make it sound like sleeping somewhere besides on a roost is the worst thing ever. I just won't worry about it for a while.

I agree they just need time to get comfortable. My last pullets didn't start roosting until around five months. That was with hens there to teach them. Some just seem to take longer to roost than others. I've had some that roost from the start and others take 5-6 months. I wouldn't worry.

I agree they just need time to get comfortable. My last pullets didn't start roosting until around five months. That was with hens there to teach them. Some just seem to take longer to roost than others. I've had some that roost from the start and others take 5-6 months. I wouldn't worry.
Thank you. These girls have no one to teach them either. I'm hoping that they will learn it is "fun" to sit and climb on things out in the run to get them used to it too. We will see. LOL

Back
Top Bottom